June 26, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Lovecats

So one of my students in yesterday's class had asked me a few weeks before class if I might be able to offer it with a cat instead of an owl.  She had purchased some cat beads from me years ago...beads that I no longer make.  The owl is similar in shape to some of my old cat beads, in fact, the older beads inspired the owl shape.  When I make them, my hands remember the motions I used to make with the cat forms...particularly the pointy ears.  So I figured a new and revised version was indeed possible, and clearly it was desired.  And as I made this batch of new cat pendants, the bouncy song The Lovecats by the Cure played in my head. I'm really not sure what this song is about.  It sounds kind of dark and I read some things about it being based on some novel, but I don't know.  It wouldn't surprise me if a Cure song was dark and emo, but it sounds so happy and bouncy, and it reminds me of happy fun times in high school, so it makes me smile when I hear it.
 "We move like cagey tigers. We couldn't get closer than this
The way we walk, the way we talk, the way we stalk, the way we kiss
We slip through the streets while everyone sleeps
Getting bigger and sleeker and wider and brighter
We bite and scratch and scream all night

Let's go and throw
All the songs we know...

Into the sea. You and me
All these years and no one heard
I'll show you in spring, it's a treacherous thing
'We missed you,' hissed the lovecats"



 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

8 comments:

  1. oh my goodness oh my goodness!! I just love love love these!!!!! They just never ever ever make cute cat beads. I don't know why, but they don't. These are just sooooo cute. Do you sell these anywhere? Or are they just for your class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh..found them on the etsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I Love the new kitties!! You have such a wonderful unique style. I received my giveaway gifts the other day and wow!! I am so in love with the little tea pot. And the other beads are fabulous. My brain is swirling with design ideas. You are so generous to give these all away.
    Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the kitties..especially the darker ones.
    only one listed on etsy...more coming soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I will be offering more in my etsy shop as soon as I get pictures done, and I will likely add them to my website soon too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wood curving was perfect. Love the kitties they are so cute. Hoping that you can you will going to post more wood curved animals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun cats! And I really, really like the glaze on the second lot, the one that feels like it has an old patina. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful you can be so flexible with your students. How lucky they are. The kitties are fun and I like the glaze on both.
    Meow

    ReplyDelete