June 5, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Fortress Around Your Heart

Today's Song Lore inspiration is the song "Fortress Around Your Heart" by Sting.  The album it came from, Dream of the Blue Turtles, was one of my favorite albums as a teenager.  It is so moody and dark and full of imagery and some excellent songs.  I thought of this song as I was driving home from downriver recently, through some areas of Detroit near my home that look like a battlefield.  The houses, which were once probably quite homey and beautiful, are boarded up and destroyed.  It is really a sad sight which usually effects me pretty deeply.  I thought of some of the lyrics of this song, and the pendants just seemed to come out that afternoon as I was working.  I also relate to the song on a personal level, in many ways, about my relationships past and present, and it is good to express those feelings into some tangible and visual form.  Ah, art therapy. 
I think the boarded up heart is the best piece from this inspiration, but before I did that, I did these two squares, which I also like.  I think there was a third but I broke it.  I would also like to use the wood planks to make a bridge or ladder component, to be used in multiple, but that will have to be another day and maybe even another song inspiration!  I can think of a few songs about bridges!  I think I would like to see these strung with the faux leather "barbed wire" technique like in the sample below.  I think it would really fit the fortress look.
"This prison has now become your home
A sentence you seem prepared to pay
It took a day to build the city
We walked through its streets in the afternoon
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid"
"And if I've built this fortress around your heart
Encircled you in trenches and barbed wire
Then let me build a bridge
For I cannot fill the chasm
And let me set the battlements on fire"

 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

4 comments:

  1. I love that music is inspiring you to create. These pieces are great and the heart and the words from the song reminded me of an art quilt I did last year. The focal point is a stabbed heart and the frame is all free-motioned bricks. I will try to post a picture on my blog. Some themes just touch us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you did the planks in those, they are awesome components (as usual)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is still one of the best albums ever! I love that song. And those boarded up pieces are the bomb, Melanie!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete