June 28, 2010

Owl Reshoot and Pondering Teaching

I finally got the Owl and the Oak necklace back into the studio, where I could take a better picture of it than the one I did at the show, so I figured I would post it here.  I really like this piece, but I am not sure what I am going to do with it now.  I sold all the kits (yay!) and I don't think I will order the glass beads I would need to kit it up again.  It was pretty intense!  Since I don't want to kit it, I probably won't try to offer it as a class. I might be able to submit it to a magazine as a project now, which would be great because I have the instructions written.  Well, it is something to ponder.  One thing is for certain... next time I design a class project, I will make it simpler, supply wise. And somehow more complex, technique wise. It is a pretty repetitive process, so it wasn't much of a challenge to teach (plus my students were super skilled!).  My other class was much more interesting for me to teach, probably because I am still learning the other processes myself, and I have taught about a million people to do wire wraps like we did in this Owl class.  Things to ponder as I think about this whole teaching business... I am still trying to find the place for it in my life and career.

 

 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Melanie, I do love that necklace! It's beautiful! Can I make a suggestion? If you don't want to kit it again, what about a mini-kit, including the owl, the links, and the clasp. You could include the directions with the mini-kit, or submit to a magazine, and sell the mini-kits when the article hit. Either way, folks would be responsible for the glass/accent beads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misa, that is a great solution! I even have the extra headpins and chain, so all one would really need is the glass beads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete