June 24, 2010

Hands of Time Necklace

 This is a piece I made in my booth at Bead & Button this year while working on my Steampunk Sampler.  It is a very long pendant, which I added to a doubled chain with a few pewter glazed accent beads.  The center part was an extra piece I had from the Sampler, and I had already done a similar long spinner hand drop, so this is a variation.  I used a larger hole and eyelet for this pendant, which was a little tricky because I didn't have quite the right tools, but I got it done.
 The bail at the top is really exciting but was kind of tricky, so it is not a good candidate for a class.  It took a while to get the long rectangular pendant bent just right around the Time Wheel, and then it was tricky to get the little bolt in from behind to fasten it all together.  When I finally got the nut screwed on, I had to do some fancy maneuvering of my flat nose pliers into the bail to act as a little bench block so I could hammer the end of the bolt flat to flare it out.  A worthwhile endeavor, but maybe not something I want to do again.  The little spinner still moves, but it doesn't freely spin around.  I'm ok with that.
 Yeah, I am really thrilled with these pieces!  I been wanting to do some of these techniques for a while, and it is amazing what adding just a few very basic metalsmithing techniques to beadwork can do!  I wonder if people would be interested in me making a line of components based on these things... part ceramic, part metal.  What do you think?


 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

4 comments:

  1. I just love this piece! I'm certain you would sell out of the components in just minutes if you put them up in your etsy store. Beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I love your style, Miss Melanie. The fact that you were able to MacGyver that at your booth is quite amazing. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this! Too bad you can't come teach down in South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete