May 29, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: A Thousand Beautiful Things

"Every day I write the list
Of reasons why I still believe they do exist
(a thousand beautiful things)
And even though it's hard to see
The glass is full and not half empty
(a thousand beautiful things)"
Welcome to my 1000th post! It happens to be on a Song Lore Saturday, so I chose a fitting song to inspire me this week.  This week's inspiration is Annie Lennox's "A Thousand Beautiful Things".  Yeah, Annie got to me again (like she does).  She is such a wonderful songwriter with such a powerful voice.  This song brought to my mind imagery of eyes, with its various mentions of seeing, the "thousand beautiful things", and especially the line "never want to close my eyes again". 

"I thank you for the air to breathe
The heart to beat
The eyes to see again
(a thousand beautiful things)"

So I wanted to continue with the textures and concepts I have been working with already and create some eye motifs with them.  I didn't want to make a very literal eyeball pendant...I think that doing designs with eyes can be very disconcerting and they scare people sometimes. It can freak people out to have a piece of jewelry looking back at them. So I went as abstract as I could and did the pointed oval shape with a hole cut out, which resembles an eye.  I love that shape... the Vesica piscis or Mandorla... it has such religious and regal connotations.  I also made a few teardrops in the matching texture, one for each eye.

"So... light me up like the sun
To cool down with your rain
I never want to close my eyes again
Never close my eyes"

I plan to celebrate this landmark post, as well as my (hopefully upcoming soon) 1000th Etsy sale with a special treat!  Check back tomorrow for this week's Extra Links and my special announcement about my  celebration which starts Monday!


 


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post and a great reminder to see the beauty in things. I love they 'eye' pendants and can't wait to see the finished product.

    Congratulations on 1000 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eye catching (couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete