May 3, 2010

Song Lore (Monday): Hammer and a Nail

 I really wanted to post my Song Lore blog over the weekend while at Penguicon and had expected to have internet access.  But alas, even the best of geeks at a geek convention couldn't get me connected.  I think my setup isn't geeky enough or something.  Anyway, I was too busy anyway, making sure all our DIY track stuff was going smoothly, fixing a few small emergencies that popped up, keeping an eye on the Make spaces, helping Alex with his costume stuff (he won best in show and best craftsmanship!) and having fun.  So I have my post ready today.
 Today's Song Lore inspiration is Hammer and a Nail by the Indigo Girls.  I am not the biggest fan of the band, even though they have a few songs I love and some great lyrics.  I even saw them in concert once, while visiting a friend in Salt Lake City.  They just sound so 90's to me, and feel a little dated.  But I do love this song.  I used to listen to it in college to get me worked up to go to class and make stuff.  I know it's more about getting off your butt and becoming socially active, but I envision all the sweat and work and hammer and nail imagery pretty literally. 
I really wanted to do these woodgrained components that looked like old pieces of wood from a house or a barn.  I made some long links and short ones, and a few toggle parts.  Some of them have the rough raw wood texture at the ends and some have little metallic screws (not a nail...a screw, but whatever...).  I really love these and already made a piece with them for an upcoming class.  I plan to put some sets up on Etsy as soon as I recover from this crazy convention weekend, which was full of building and making and working itself.


"Gotta get out of bed get a hammer and a nail
Learn how to use my hands, not just my head
I think myself into jail
Now I know a refuge never grows
From a chin in a hand in a thoughtful pose
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose."



 



Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment