May 26, 2010

More Raku Process Pictures

I got my buddy Jer to send me the pics he took on Sunday when we did Raku.  That's Randy helping me, sorry the pics chopped your head off!  Above, I am taking a kiln post filled with pendants out of the kiln (which is unplugged, so there is no electricity going through it anymore...important!)  This must have been the second or third pull from the kiln, as I can see the fire in the bucket in the bottom of the picture, so i already did at least one.
Here I am bringing the post to the bucket o' sawdust fire and putting it in.  More fire!  whee!
And here I am taking more sawdust from another bucket and sprinkling it onto the hot beads, making more fire!

After letting the fire go for a bit, Randy put the lid onto the bucket, putting the fire out (kinda) and letting it smolder with thick smoke.  The lid doesn't fit the bucket so it is not a tight seal, but I am not sure that's a bad thing.  The smoke is what makes the beads look so great so having the fire start up and start smoldering again may not be a bad thing.  The last firing I did had not so much smoke and flame, and was disappointing, so I am sticking with what we did this day as a mark of success.
I love this picture, looking all ridiculous in Alex's welding goggles!

 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. So cool! Can't wait to see the grand experiments in full color! Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea to use your posts for the pendants. You have a nice set up going, there.

    Cool goggles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing the processes in creating, thanks for the peek.

    ReplyDelete