May 17, 2010

Honored and Flattered!

So today in my email inbox, I got my daily bead fix from Interweave's Beading Daily and was pleased to see a picture of a necklace I designed for Step By Step Beads back in October 2008.  But I was downright flattered to read what editor Leslie Rogalski had to say about the piece!

Leslie Rogalski: "This may be the most challenging post I’ll ever write––to choose favorite projects from all my years as editor in chief of Step by Step Beads....That said, I do have an affinity for projects that called out to me more than others, simply for personal reasons. Here are just six of my fave designs and why I like them:

"Cool things to string
Many designs were about fast fashion. Using simple stringing and wire techniques to combine outstanding elements made several projects stand out for me. One was Melanie Brooks’ Steampunk necklace. Using her own ceramic beads and pendant, Melanie interpreted this style with mixed media, including metal chain and interesting dangles. Her design evoked a steampunk style without being derivative, so the necklace appeared fresh and new."
Wow, that was a wonderful thing to hear from such an awesome person!  It takes me back to when I wrote that project for Step by Step, right around the same time I wrote the article about steampunk in beading for sister publication Beadwork.  I had been working on my steampunk line and blogging about it earlier in the year and decided to work up the courage to ask the editors if I could write about steampunk for one of the Interweave bead magazines.  The genre hadn't quite hit the beading world yet, so the response was "steam- what, now?"  It was really fun and scary to present my ideas about it, and very thrilling to see them accepted!  That was my first cover and one of the few full articles (for Beadwork) I had ever written.  I was very proud of my work.
Now of course, steampunk is all over the beading world.  It is such an amazing genre that it was sure to catch on and spread like wildfire!  I like to think I helped that happen a little bit with my articles and projects, which I think were some of the first introductions to steampunk for some beaders.  I still am very interested in steampunk and it has influenced my work, but I have moved onto other things as well.  It is nice to look back and feel recognized for work well done.  Thanks Leslie! You made my day!

 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a wonderful compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Melanie! This is awesome! Enjoy:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I remember that cover--I was at Bead Fest when it came out and everyone just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a sweet compliment! And I remember that issue very well. I remember thinking the same thing that she refers to. This is a fresh design even today. And I am glad that you had a hand in jump starting that trend. I love where you have taken it!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That was a beautiful piece - I remember when it originally came out. I'm sorry to see Step by Step Beads go, but The Best of tribute issue is a really nice publication...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I love the design also, and can see how it would have staying power in someones mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine RitcheyWednesday, May 19, 2010

    Happy dance time! I remember the article you wrote for Beadwork and how impressed I was at your depth of understanding and your writing skills. I am sure that you had a very large role in starting the Steampunk Movement. To me, you'll always be the Steampunk Queen!

    Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete