April 24, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Little Bird

This week's Song Lore inspiration is a new song to me, but I immediately fell in love with it.  See, I wanted another bird song for this month, and I had one song with a little part about a bird, but I wanted to wait to use it, so I was searching for another one.  The ones I was finding were either too flighty (heh) or too weighty.  This one is pretty intense, I suppose, but it fit my mood just right.  It is "Little Bird" by the fabulous Annie Lennox.
Also, I am pretty done with making bird charms, so I wanted something with a twist, and wings were a perfect solution.  I carved the pair of them Friday morning in about two hours, and documented the steps.  I have pictures here, backwards chronologically, oops!  Anyway, I started with some research on Bird tattoos, particularly swallows and I sketched a few of them the night before and slept on it.  In the morning, I was ready to carve.
Above are the finished wings.  I tried to make them mirror images as best I could, but they are slightly different.  I adore them, and I can see them in many configurations as pendants and links.  I can also see them as parts to something bigger, if I add something in the center.
Above, the left one has been detailed, the right is partially detailed.  I tried to work on each step at the same time on each one, so make them as similar as possible.
Above, this one has been roughly carved, and needed to dry to do a little bit of scraping with metal dental tools.
Above, some of the tools I used, and the left one partially detailed and the right one just sketched in.
Above, the two blanks, with details sketched in with a rubber tipped pencil tool.
And above is what I started with... two flat blanks of clay, cut to the same shapes in mirror image.


"I look up to the little bird
That glides across the sky
He sings the clearest melody
It makes me want to cry
It makes me want to sit right down
and cry cry cry
I walk along the city streets
So dark with rage and fear
And I...
I wish that I could be that bird
And fly away from here
I wish I had the wings to fly away from here"

 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. One of my favourite Annie Lennox songs. The lyrics are some what haunting but I think true to many of us who take time to notice. I love the wings. I can see them used in many ways, especially in collage of parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little birds, and your wings are just lovely. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work and the song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing! I am fascinated by the way you made each feather so smooth and life like.
    I am really looking forward to seeing these finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do you actually hand carve each piece or will these be used to make a mold? They are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward so seeing these finished too! The original carvings will be fired (they are cooling in the kiln now, actually) and clay molds will be made, so I can make many of them.

    ReplyDelete