April 3, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Canary in a Coal Mine

This month, I will be sharing some works inspired by songs about birds! Today's Song Lore inspiration is a classic song by the Police, "Canary in a Coal Mine".  I love the ska beat to this one, it makes me want to dance!  For such an upbeat sounding song, the subject matter is a little intense and serious.  It's about a person who spends so much time worrying and in fear that it keeps them inside, all locked up.  I can relate, as I have felt like this many times in my life, although not so much lately.  I've been more of a social birdie than ever, actually, and I am happy this way (as long as I can keep up with my work!).
Anyway, I made a variety of Spring inspired colored birds, each with two colors. I think they look like candies, or the Peeps display in the candy aisle (mmm peeps)  I took this picture real quickly at the Madison bead show, so I will need to re-photograph them for Etsy and the website.  Not today, though... its too beautiful out and I want to go outside and play! 
Here is a video for "Canary in a Coal Mine" set to some video of the anime Digimon.  It kind of fits... I do like the cute little critters from that show. Have a great holiday weekend, all!


"First to fall over when the atmosphere is less than perfect
Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect
You live your life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line"

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

4 comments:

  1. LOVITY, LOVE THEM! MUST HAVE ONE! Oh. Am I screaming. Sorry. They are just so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't we go to different high schools together? I think you & I would be right at home going through each other's CD's & records(yeah I still have those, even play them when my turntable is hooked up!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaea, Thanks! hey maybe we need to do a trade again soon!

    Boot~C, Oh that's fun! I graduated high school in 1991...does that show my musical tastes? I have some of my favorite records left, but nothing set up to play them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! Yes in deedie-do! Let me know about that! Love The Police song that goes with them too!

    ReplyDelete