April 30, 2010

Penguicon and DIY!

I haven't been blogging regularly because I have been busy with stuff, including this little thing called Penguicon that is this weekend!  I am half of the DIY (do it yourself) Track, along with the ever-awesome Skennedy!  This is our first time running a track, and it started out as a small idea.  Over the last year it has turned into a big part of the Con, with our main guests, I3Detroit, appearing as Hacks of Honor.  Sken and I have worked really hard to get some great panels and panelists together, including two make/hack spaces at the Con.  We have met some super-fab people along the way and have learned a ton about not only Makers and making and hacking, but also about Con running (for better or for worse, heh.)  I am heading out to the hotel soon and am looking forward to having a fun weekend.  I hope everything goes smoothly and everyone has a great time.
I didn't plan too many panels for myself, because I want to be free to check in on all the other panels and panelists and lend a hand when needed.  But I did manage to form two fun panels that I am excited to be on:

Writing for DIY Blogs and Publications David Erik Nelson
Melanie Brooks
May 2, 2010 11:00AM 0h50 Private Dining I Stage  
Writing articles and books for the craft world is one way a craft professional can market their work and educate. This panel of artist writers will talk about how they got involved with writing craft titles and articles.

Crafting a Craft Career Melanie Brooks
Jeanie Davan
Alyska Bailey Peterson
May 2, 2010 9:00AM 0h50 Private Dining I Stage  
The trials and tribulations of making a living as a craft artist can be complicated as well as rewarding. A panel of professional artists share some of the details of their studio lives, experiences selling online and at public venues, and the truth about the adventurous life of an artist.

Hope to see you at Penguicon!


 
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment