April 6, 2010

Art Beads Artistry: Nesting Owl

  I recently had the opportunity to gather some beads and findings from Art Beads for a "Beauty of Spring" inspiration challenge.  There were so many wonderful items to choose from, and I selected some glass and brass pieces to use. I originally thought I would use them together, but I ended up making two separate necklaces, so I will blog about my Art Beads spring items in two posts!  Above, you can see the brass pieces I chose*.  I picked out earthy brass Base Metal Chain and Brass Plated Pewter Clasps as well as some neat oval links that reminded me of tree bark.  I love that leafy chain, and have purchased it before.  You can cut the little leaves off to make tiny charms!  But I decided to use the whole chain length... it felt so decadent!  Here is what I made:


I used one of my brand new Round Owl pendants with a variety of other Earthenwood leaves, links, accents, and charms.  I love that everything has an earthy woodland feel and how the porcelain brings pale colors to the brass.  I also like the asymmetry and the side clasp. It took quite a while to get the balance right, I won't lie but it was worth the effort, I think.  Next blog post, I will show you what I did with all the colorful glass leaves from Art Beads!

*FTC compliance disclosure: the '*' items mentioned in this post credited to Art Beads were provided as a promotional gift for review or design purposes.


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

6 comments:

  1. Damn. That is some pretty stuff. And what you have done? Makes me scream SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Love, love, love it all. Looking forward to part two.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning necklace, love the earthy colours and the owl pendant is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really diggin' that chain. I've been contemplating getting some for myself!
    Bead Happy!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your necklace is really, really beautiful. Wow, I'm so inspired. I've been working on a few pieces with owls and leaves, and you've just given me a few new ideas to think about.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so since I'm all about Molly the Owl right now, I feel a real pull towards your owl pendants :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!!!!!!
    your ceramic components are so unique and delicious, and a bunch of them in one piece is, as you said, *decadent* and also a feast for the eyes. Anyone who wears that will be pawed at by endless admirers.
    drool...

    ReplyDelete