March 1, 2010

New Website, New Frustrations

I am very excited to be able to present my new website for Earthenwood Studio! I really like it, so far. I am using Big Cartel on the recommendation of a couple of friends, and I have found others I know who use it as well. It is easy for me to update, it is way more user friendly than my old site, and I think its just better all around. Please go and click around and let me know what you think!

Unfortunately, in the process of figuring out how to make my old domain name go to the new site, the wholesale site disappeared. Now, I am sure it is still out there, but I am way over my head in trying to retrieve it and get that subdomain back in order.  Honestly, though, it is not a site that gets frequently used, and I think it has a lot of issues. Since I am no longer hosting the Earthenwood retail site on the old server, I had been thinking about getting rid of the wholesale subdomain anyway. Frustratingly, it just sorta went *poof* before I could get a plan together. I have two new and different ideas for wholesale now, including: having wholesale sampler assortments in different themes available on my etsy site, and using the discount code function on the retail site for wholesale discounts.  Both have advantages and disadvantages, but both would likely be easier for me, and probably for customers too... maybe more appealing, even!  They would also be more transparent than having a secret wholesale site, which always seemed silly to me. I gotta say, though, that the thought of just using email, etsy, and the Big Cartel site to do my business is very appealing, and I think it gives me a lot of options.  If you have any thoughts, I am eager to hear them, and I hope you will share with me...

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. The new website looks great! I did spot a little typo, "Dragonfies" instead of "Dragonflies" on your list of categories.

    A bit sad to see that the faeries are all gone, but I can understand the need to streamline your offerings.

    I think that a discount code for wholesale might be the best and easiest way to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AJ, Thanks for noticing the typo... I fixed it!

    And thanks for noticing the fairies are gone, too. I haven't put everything back online yet, but I do plan to have a few fairies come back. I am glazing a new batch and plan to get a fresh photo for the site.

    Yeah, I think the code will work, unless its a GIANT order, which will make the shipping really high. But that is infrequent, so I probably won't worry too much, and just plan to refund some shipping if that does happen. *shrug*

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just been over to your new site. It's fantastic. So so easy to navigate. I've been considering a website but have been quite daunted. Thanks for the tip on BigCartel. I think I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to BigCartel! You can set a Paypal shipping setting to curb the shipping from being too high. I do it in brackets and it automatically calculates everything. I would say to play around with the Paypal shipping options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Andrew!
    I am tempted to do my shipping at Paypal, but it would involve configuring it to work with my Etsy shops too. I might need a different Paypal for etsy and the website, which I don't really want... its hard enough to keep track of one account!

    ReplyDelete