March 22, 2010

Happy Spring and Extra Links

Well the weekend was great!  I had the good fortune to have the amazing Andrew Thornton as a guest the night before the bead show. We had a few snacks and he brought a delicious raisin and apricot rum cake that he made (which was omg so good this morning with coffee for breakfast).  Diane Hawkey came over and Jeremy and Brendan were here, and we all snacked and chatted about art and had a nice relaxing evening. Sunday was an early day, as we all had bead show stuff to do.
 
The Bead Bonanza was ok, business wise.  It was good to see everyone, and it seemed busy most of the day, but my sales were way down.  I had a good Fall Bonanza, so this happens, but it was my lowest sale day there in a while. *Shrug* it happens, especially in this area.  I am really glad that I don't have to rely on Metro Detroit's economy for my income, because it is really tough here. I came home tired and reasonably satisfied with the day, just not overwhelmed with happiness. Also, I am about 95% sure I had a pendant stolen, which is a (thankfully) rare and unhappy event. On the bright side, I have beads to take with me to Madison this upcoming weekend, and I don't have to push so hard to scramble to get stock together.  I bought a little bit of fun stuff, so I will take some pics and show them later this week.
 
I missed wishing everyone a happy Spring!  So I am listing a set of springtime robin and nest charms on Etsy this afternoon. I didn't get around to listing the Extra links either, so here they are:
The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Just back from a whirlwind adventure in Hawaii, Andrew shares his experience in paradise and spotlights some bead-making talents. 

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Spring really arrived here, FINALLY, and Jean was inspired to create some colorful, sparkly CZ jewelry with the beautiful components she found at Artbeads!  

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
Take a little virtual shopping trip with Lorelei around the web for inspiration to participate in the Art Bead Scene Almond Blossoms challenge!

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie reviews a delighful new multi-media book by Sherri Haab 

Cindy Gimbrone aka The Lampwork Diva
A seed catalog keeps Cindy's inspiration alive. The result is a Victorian Garden Bee Skep bead. 

Carmi's Art/Life World
A few word charms by the cash register are the inspiration for a new brooch. 

Beading Arts
Cyndi worked out a pattern for a simple but pretty floral seed bead chain! 

Art Bead Scene
Art Bead Scene Editor Heather Powers shows how she organized her studio for $45! 

About.com Jewelry Making
Carpel Tunnel Sydrome is not a new issue for jewelry designers, but here are some resources that may help.
  

A Bead A Day
After a treasure hunting trip through a bucket of fun spirited plastic beads, Lisa creates a "charm" bracelet to remind her of the experience!  






Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me over! It was such a pleasant time. I had such a most excellent time that I was half tempted to ask if I could stay after the show, so that I could check out the zoo today... but I'm glad to be back, hacking away at the endless pile of straw that needs to be spun into gold. Thanks again for having me over and for being so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little bird. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, It was great to have you here! Next time you come to do the Bonanza or something, maybe I can convince you to come a little early so we can go to the zoo or museum or something fun in the area!

    ReplyDelete