February 6, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Breakdown

This week's Song Lore inspiration is the song Breakdown by Jack Johnson.  I have thought of it many times when I am busy and running around in a panic or frenzied busy state. It is about wanting your transportation (specifically a train) to just break down so that you are forced to stop and enjoy the moment.  I have felt that relief of something out of my control happening so I can take the day off and forget my responsibilities for a while.  Kind of like when I had a big test at school that I dreaded, and we got a snow day!  I like the imagery of Jack getting off the broken down train to enjoy a coffee in a cafe and a bit of people watching, or an unexpected conversation with a stranger.

"i hope this old train breaks down
then i could take a walk around
and see what there is to see
and time is just a melody"
Recently, Alex and I went to a hobby shop that specialized in model trains.  They had a junk pile that we were able to pick through, that was full of broken and incomplete train parts.  We each spent less than $10 and got a little bag of metal and plastic treasures!  I was singing this song on that day as well... my brain seems to just trigger the song when I think of trains.  I knew I would be using my parts as tools to press into clay, and I was finally able to play with them a bit last night.  Below is a picture of the still rough clay pieces that I made.  They will be glazed in dark metallic and rusty colors, with bright contrasting parts in neon and white "danger sign" accents.  I really love the circles and think they will be neat to use in beading.



I am posting this today because I am traveling by train to Chicago today!  But, lets be clear... I do NOT want MY train to break down!  hehe.  This is a vacation... I don't need to be forced to stop to take a break this time around.  I will return Monday, ready to get these pieces fired and glazed before I leave again to a trip Up North with Alex.

I found a fan video of Breakdown so you can listen to it, and you might imagine how giddy I was to see that it is taken in Chicago, with some of the skyline and buildings that we will be likely to see on our trip!  enjoy...




Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be purchased at her Etsy shop and her jewelry and gifts can be purchased in her Etsy Galleria.

If you would like to leave a comment on this post, please go to the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Jack Johnson. He is all over my Pandora playlist! Those train parts are so cool and work well with your steampunk vibe. Hope you have a relaxing mini-vacation! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete