February 20, 2010

Ice Resin Blog Hop: Song Lore: Shipbuilding

"With all the will in the world
Diving for dear life, when we could be diving for pearls"
 
Today's Song Lore inspiration is the song "Shipbuilding" by Elvis Costello.  It's a very melancholy tune, both in sound and in content.  The piano and sad trumpet (by Chet Baker) make me think of slow, rainy days. The lyrics have a bit of a social/political message to them.  From Wikipedia: "Written during the Falklands War of 1982, Costello's lyrics discuss the contradiction of the war bringing back prosperity to traditional shipbuilding areas of Merseyside (Cammell Laird), North East England and Belfast (Harland and Wolff) to build new ships to replace those being sunk in the war, whilst also sending off the sons of these areas to fight and, potentially, lose their lives in those same ships."
So with the sound and the words of this song, I was inspired to make this series of pendants.  They are made of brass frames, filled with paper from a vintage card of an illustration of ship imagery.  Each contains a baroque freshwater pearl and bits of metal that have a nautical feel to them.
Just a few days after making these, I saw this huge piece of architecture on the water in Marquette.  I am not sure what it is exactly, but I think it has to do with harboring the mining ships and I think it is quite old.  It was really interesting looking, and I wished there was not snow up to my waist and freezing weather so I could have explored more.  Below, is a live performance of Elvis singing "Shipbuilding".
I think I am going to hold onto these pendants and save them for my bead show next month, instead of listing them on Etsy. If you are interested in any of them, feel free to contact me.  You can see the whole set in my Resin Play Day photo set on Flickr.
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. The pendants are gorgeous! Love the colors and components!

    I love architectural photos and yours is so intriging! I also wish there had not been snow up to your waist...I'd love to see the bones of this building!

    Thank you for sharing!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete