February 18, 2010

Ice Resin Blog Hop: Rings & Things Product Playtime

Many moons ago, sometime around Christmas, the kind folks at Rings & Things sent me a goodie bag of things that I am still working with.  Included in one of the goodie bags was the two gold plated Tierracast pewter components above.  I loved them, but needed to wait until inspiration struck, and until I was ready to mix up Ice resin again, because that little frame link is perfect for working with resin. The frame is small, so I wanted to attach it to a bigger pendant, and to tie the bright gold of the frame in with the darker tones of the lower piece that I was planning, I added the gold bird into the collage.  I just cut and filed off the loop that made it a charm, and set it in with the collage of paper and glass gems.

For this piece, I used a little vintage Valentine card with a bird image.  The bird has a card in its mouth that says "truly thine" and is colored with many muted jewel tones.  The frame link contains a little scrap from an old dictionary page with the word "beast" as well as some jewels and metal bits that echo the pieces in the lower pendant.

The gold plated components used in the previous post, specifically referenced as from Rings and Things, were provided as promotional gifts by for review or design partnership purposes.
Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. I really love all the fabulous details in this pendant! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out great!! I really love the whole look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new work! I love how you've transformed the TierraCast components and really made them your own.

    I noticed that some of the paper has absorbed the resin in parts, causing the paper to darken in patches. It's a common problem. To prevent this from happening, you can easily coat the paper with an acrylic gel medium and allowing it to dry before pouring the resin. Oh and don't forget the backs! Sometimes if there's an air-bubble or a place with no adhesive, resin will seep under and cause the discoloration from behind. Coating your pieces first will keep your paper pristine and prevent resin bleeding.

    Or, you can use this to your advantage by using rice papers and other sheer, absorbent papers. By floating these papers on the surface, the thinest parts will disappear, leaving raised surfaces from embossing faintly visible. You can also print on these papers with waterproof inks and cause words or images to seemingly float magically in the resin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really great suggestions! Thanks Andrew! The cards I am using are so old, the paper is pretty thin and absorbent. In some ways I like the way the resin darkens it, but I think there will be occasions that I will want them brighter, and I will definitely be using the clear gel idea. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made these charms your own! What a beautiful use for them, Melanie. The resin worked out great with these findings. (Thanks too to Andrew for great tips on doing this kind of work.)

    --Dave
    at Rings & Things

    ReplyDelete