February 23, 2010

Crusty and Blue

Thanks for your positive comments yesterday.  They really helped!  I spent the evening with my buddies laughing and having fun, and that helped too.  I am still feeling kinda crusty and blue, but at least I have a sense of humor about it, so I took these pictures of some new crusty (and rusty) and blue (and grungy) glaze tests to share with you.  See what I did there?  Clearly, I'm hilarious.
But check it out!  Its blue and muddy and grungy!  It looks like Raku but its fired way hotter and that means the color might last longer and the clay is harder, so I am less likely to break my beads.  That's always been a standard of mine... the beads I sell have to stand up to my own clumsiness and rough handling. These are tough ones!
Oh my goodness, this one looks like a rusty old piece of metal!  I love it!  I am having a hard time getting used to the feel of the dryness of the glazes though, so I think further tests will require some contrast... either a color contrast like a bright color against the dark grime, or a texture contrast like something shiny or metallic next to the dry surface.  I am making some simple pieces today to use as tests for these new glazes.What do you think of them so far?


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE the "rusty metal" piece. My ceramics professor has us collecting images we like. I have a lot of images of rusty "Old Beater" trucks and your pieces are what I love. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new glazes. I have a couple that I used years ago that have kept their colour forever, unlike so much of my raku. I don't mind the dry surface but was thinking maybe glazing the back sides in a satin finish so that it's nice and smooth on skin. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crusty blue is wonderful! Commercial or your own formula? And I like the asymetry with multiplr wire loops. So many possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Yeah, I have been really drawn to old industrial surfaces lately. Good thing I live in the Motor City and can get "inspired" everywhere I look

    I was thinking the same thing, glazing the backs with a better feeling glaze and keeping some parts dry. I am excited to experiment

    The glazes are all commercial... I don't formulate my own. There are so many great glazes on the market, I don't see the point when its not a process I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the new glazes, I am such a glaze nerd

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how these new glazes are turning out!! I am *really* anxious to see how the contrast of the shiny and the rusty that you mention turn out!
    GO YOU!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the beat-up blue. It's just so fun!
    Glad that you are getting over your grumpies...I hate when I get those grumpies too!
    Bead Happy!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cool! I love the grungy blue. I'm also excited to see how the beads come out with the contrasting glazes:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! I'm lovin' this crusty, rusty stuff! This needs to be a new line for you. In fact, I would love to buy the bottom right blue disk and the big blue crusty guy. Puh-leeze? Email me off list if this is possible. And please keep making these! You're really on to something!

    Glad you're feeling better and yes, you are funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally feeling the glazes! Awesome match to the designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing glazes! They really do make the pieces look rusty and crusty but in a fabulous way!

    ReplyDelete