January 17, 2010

There'd be no distance that can hold us back


Here are the first of the pendants I made for the Song Lore series I did for the song New Year by Deathcab for Cutie. If you recall, I was inspired by these lyrics in particular:

"i wish the world was flat like the old days
then i could travel just by folding a map
no more airplanes, or speedtrains, or freeways
there'd be no distance that can hold us back."

These three pieces are going into my personal collection, as I made them to be talismans for my safe journeys. The center pendant is a frame/bezel pendant made from porcelain and glazed with my favorite Desert Pine and Metallic Pewter glazes. There is a tiny working compass embedded in the bottom of the pendant. Inside the frame is a map of the metro Detroit Michigan area where the city I live in is located. I found the map at an antique store and we figured it was printed before I was born, maybe in the 60's sometime. I added some copper and gears too, which also make me think of the Motor City. The entire frame is filled with crystal clear Ice Resin. The two side accent links are pieces that I made many years ago, and just now filled and finished. They contain bits from two old horse racing tickets, one that says Detroit and one that says Hazel, probably referring to the Hazel Park horse race tracks near me. I found those tickets, stamped 1960, at the same antique store. I filled them with resin too. I plan to string these into a necklace with some other special items, perhaps some Petoskey stone and some Fordite if I can find it.

I have a few more of these pendants, some that I will even list for sale, and more maps I can use to make many more! In addition to the Michigan map I bought a vintage world map, so the possibilities are pretty endless, and I could even do some custom talismans, which would be fun.

I hope you liked seeing the pendant I made for myself! I am dedicating this post to Michael, my dear friend and Number One supporter! Thanks for your many important and relevant comments! (*giggle*hug*)

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant ideas...especially the compass! Safe travels, Miss Melanie! I will be thinking of you! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete