January 30, 2010

Song Lore Saturday

 Today's Song Lore inspiration is the song "Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)" by Squeeze.  I have known this song for a long time, and Squeeze is one of my favorite bands.  I have never really had quite had an experience to match with the scene set in the song, though, until my Cruise.  I found myself humming it while at the pools and on the beach, seeing some of the sights mentioned in the song. I am glad that I finally have some imagery of my own to go with the song, as it seemed to be missing from my experience of listening to it over the years.
 
This is a collection of small shells I gathered from our trip to the beach on St. Maartin.  The beach was full of shells, very sharp and hard to walk on.  I enjoyed sifting through, but only brought back a handful of them.
 I decided today to make some bezel frames that will house them, probably with some bits of map and other found objects, set in clear resin.  I made the frames this morning:
 
I chose the circle form because I was inspired my many circles on the Cruise. I was thinking of portal windows and life preservers and buoys for the forms, and I am excited to try some new color and surface combinations, inspired by some of the colors and ship symbols I saw on my trip. I know the unfired clay isn't much to look at now, but I think they will end up looking pretty cool soon. I dried them this afternoon and am firing them now... eager to glaze and fire them again tomorrow or the next day!

I wil leave you tonight with a video of "Pulling Mussels", set to some beautiful tropical island photographs.  I am very happy to be able to say that I have seen some of this kind of beauty with my own eyes now!




Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be purchased at her Etsy shop and her jewelry and gifts can be purchased in her Etsy Galleria.

If you would like to leave a comment on this post, please go to the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. They are lovely as is! They look nautical and somehow steam punkish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blast from the past, I had to go & get the only cd I have of theirs( most of my Squeeze is on vinyl!) 'A Round and About' & give it a spin too. I need to post a picture of my pieces I made w/ the hearst I won too,They should be on my blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bezel frames are terrific, I'd love to be able to make some of these - any hints???

    Hugz......

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite things is unfired clay. I always think it looks so full of potential. These are sure to be lovely memory pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gaea,
    Thanks, I am glad that comes through in the bare clay. I want them to be sort of weathered industrial looking, so I think that's the steampunk feeling that is coming through.

    Boot~C
    Squeeze has such a huge catalog of work! I really love the songwriting on their songs. I look forward to seeing the pieces you made with the hearts!

    Chris,
    Thanks, I am glad you like them. I don't know how I can really describe how to make these. I started with a ball of clay and pinched, scooped, brushed, poked, and added bits to them to get the look I wanted. Have fun and experiment!

    SummersStudio,
    I love leatherhard clay, but dried clay seems so fragile to me, it makes me a little nervous, if that makes any sense. I think these will look great with some of the shells in them!

    ReplyDelete