January 9, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: "Her name is Rio..."

"...and she dances on the sand"

Today's Song Lore pick is "Rio" from Duran Duran. The album of the same name was one of the first pieces of music that I bought (on vinyl... still have it!) and it was probably the first time I considered the music to be "mine" (as opposed to my parents' or just the randomness of the radio). I loved the music, and OMG the Duran boys... *swoon*... my first crushes, too! I was dreamy about Simon, and Nick, and John... hehe, pretty much the whole band. Such eye candy! But more than that, the music was mysterious and exotic and complex and sexy. It was very intriguing for the curious teenager that I was. Duran Duran was at the forefront of the new music video craze, and they did it amazingly well. They really knew how to integrate the visual aspect of their marketing with good music to create a whole experience. I remember watching the video for Rio and wanting to be on a warm tropical beach somewhere. And the videos from the album, mixed with the music, and the iconic album cover by Patrick Nagel... every song from that album just takes me to this place of paradise and fantasy in my mind. It is probably why I have been thinking of it lately, because in a week, I will be heading out to a tropical place and experiencing the beaches and palm trees and bright colors on the Cruise. I think I have been so busy getting ready for it, that it is only now just sinking in that it will be reality, and I will be dancing in the sand myself soon.




Today's Song Lore inspiration will result in a bracelet that I will take on the cruise with me for the bracelet exchange. I will let the sounds and sights of the "Rio" experience help me in making this bracelet. I am starting with some colorful sparkle, these wonderful Cubic Zirconia beads from Art Beads, which have some of the bright and tropical feeling that I have in mind. They remind me of juicy and fragrant fruit, with their rich candy-like colors.

Well, there is the inspiration, some of the materials, and the goal. Come back later today to see what I create!

The Cubic Zirconia beads used in the previous post, specifically referenced as from Art Beads, were provided as promotional gifts by for review or design partnership purposes.

3 comments:

  1. I live in the land of tropical colors--although you wouldn't know it from our weather this past week. I just love the blues and greens and the bright pop of color from the reds. I can't wait until the rain and cold stops and we have our tropical weather back again! And "Rio"... kids today just don't know what music was like in the '80s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, 80's music was totally awesome. hee! It sounds lovely where you live. It is very cold here in Michigan. The white snow and grey skies can have its charm, but I am ready for a change of scenery for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your inspiration Melanie! I loved Duran Duran. How could you not if you were a child of the 80s like me? Sexy and mysterious was right! I also love that you are using songs for inspiration. Brilliant idea! Have a great time on your trip. Say hello to all for me!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete