January 16, 2010

Song Lore Saturday: Bouncing off Clouds

Today's Song Lore inspiration is a song that I wrote about once before, and that was also on a day that I was flying. This song, "Bouncing Off Clouds" by Tori Amos, makes me feel like I am soaring through the air, and gives me a little courage to not take everything so seriously.
......In particular, I love this part:

"Make it easy
Make this easy
It's not as heavy as it seems
Wrapped in metal
Wrapped in ivy
Paint it in mint ice cream"

Those words are just so comforting and beautiful for me. Tori really has a wonderful way of creating strange and beautiful (and sometimes scary and shocking) imagery in her lyrics and melodies.

So I was inspired enough to make a few pieces before I even posted the song this time. They are works in progress and dry clay is always so hard for me to photograph, but here they are. The top three pictures were quick "sketches" of clouds. They will make fine cabochon stones for something, but it wasn't really what I had in mind. I slept on it, and woke up with the song in my head with an image of clouds from Tibetan Art. A little research later, and about an hour with my carving tools, and I came up with the cloud shaped carving. It still needs to be sharpened up, but this is one that I will fire and mold, so I can make many more! I have a strong vision of the rest of the necklace, with silver incorporated (from the lyric "I'll put on my silver") and some leafy ivy and metal wrapped filigree, and probably some mint color through the whole piece.

The last time I posted this song was when I was going to FaerieCon in Philly to see my brother. It was a very stressful time for me, and I needed songs like this as a constant mantra. I felt the heaviness of my marital problems on me pretty strongly then, and the normal pressures and anxieties of things like a plane trip were so much heavier on me then, with my partner's anxieties weighing me down even more. I have learned to surround myself with people who try to help me unburden myself of these weights, and who help me to help myself when I am feeling so heavy headed. I think I was waiting on something to change things for so many years, but I have realized that I have to change myself.

"You say you're waiting on fate
But I think fate is now
I think fate is now
Waiting on us"

9 comments:

  1. What a great song, Melanie... I've been a Tori Amos fan forever--her songs inspire and sometimes scare me but I love to let myself be absorbed into her music.

    Music is a huge part of my creative process. I find that my jewelry takes on a whole new "feel" depending on the type of music playing at the moment.

    A great way to escape from the cold and snow of our Michigan winters, eh?

    Your song lore series is fantastic. Thank you for the inspiration!

    willow
    http://simplywillow.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite Tori songs! Terrific choice. Love the cloud carving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Melanie, I got my package today, thanks so much for your treat you included, I think that was my favourite part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine RitcheyTuesday, January 19, 2010

    Hey! I hope you make lots of clouds because I want one or twenty of them! :) I love Tori too!

    Hope you and everyone else has a blast on the Bead Cruise. I know you'll tell us all about it when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I visit you, there's something new and brilliant going on. Each time I don't think you can top what you did before, you prove me wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments! I am excited about these clouds, and I think this week's Song Lore post will tie in somehow with some sea imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool clouds! I can see them as focal pieces for various necklace designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these Asian style clouds, they are so lovely. I keep thinking if I ever do settle on a tattoo it will have clouds or waves in this style.

    Your work is moving into some fascinating new directions...I love it!

    xoxo,
    Madge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margot, Thank you! I have never been brave enough to get a tattoo, but they are very tempting.

    ReplyDelete