January 27, 2010

Motor City Journey


I am home and have been trying to catch up on work and sleep and chores around the house and studio.  I was doing well for the first two days, getting a bunch of stuff done, but whew, today really kicked my butt!  Maybe I did too much in those two days back. Like yesterday, I went along to a meeting with I3Detroit which was great... we brainstormed some more ideas for panels and activities for the DIY programming track at Penguicon. I think its going to be great to have all this new tech craft stuff in the programming, and even though I don't understand a lot of it, I get really excited when I start to learn about the things that are happening.  Now I am going to have to step it up and get some more of the more traditional crafty programming organized.  I hope to get in touch with Handmade Detroit for some help!

So anyway, its good to be back home in Detroit.  While it was fun to be away in exotic lands, it is true that there is no place like home.  During the cruise, at one of the open beading nights, I made the necklace above, using one of my new Travel Talismans.  It has a frame pendant with a bit of vintage Detroit map, a mini compass, and some gears set in clear resin.  I also made two side accent components with ephemera and resin: the two brick red clay rectangles that are filled with vintage horse race tickets from my city from the 1960's.  Also in the necklace are some Michigan stones, like the single rectangular Petoskey stone, which is our state stone.  I bought the key at the cruise from Bello Modo, which was perfect, since it had my inpirational word of the year "journey".  Assorted industrial beads like gears and bolts and various metals seem to fit the Motor City feeling, as do the metallic and mottled stones and glass beads that make up the rest of the necklace.  I wore this many times during the cruise and I really enjoyed it!  It gave me a little bit of home while I was so far away.

Hopefully I will have more energy to get more new pictures and do more blogging soon, but at least I have been working in clay a little bit in between my errands and napping.  If I owe you an email or blog post or anything, I am sorry... I will get to it as soon as I can!




Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be purchased at her Etsy shop and her jewelry and gifts can be purchased in her Etsy Galleria.

If you would like to leave a comment on this post, please go to the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Fan-freakin'-tastic Miss Melanie! You certainly were inspired on your 'journey'!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    P.S. I agree about Launch My Line. I keep forgetting that Project Runway is not there any more and catch glimpses...horrible train-wreck sort of glimpses. Are those people (particularly the judges) for real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired! I have so many ideas, now I just need to recover so I can get on with them!

    Yeah, Runway is such a great show and this one is so bad. We keep watching it because we have seen most of them, but its so hard to pay attention! bleh!

    ReplyDelete