January 29, 2010

Hearts, Texture, and Inspiration

Arteria Arcanum necklace that I made during one of my classes on the Cruise, heading to the Etsy Galleria sometime soon!

I am going to write this quick blog post while I am waiting for the potatoes to cook and for Alex to come over.  I had a great morning... coffee with Diane Hawkey which is always fun!  We plotted and decided to split a booth at Bead Fest in Philly in August.  We have traveled together for many shows before, but always by car... this will be the first we will fly to.  I am very excited!

She also showed me some of her new pieces that are AMAZING, and I am looking forward to when she gets the glazes and surfaces figured out to her liking and ready to sell.  I was very inspired by some of the surfaces she had on the pieces, and it is a direction that I was moving in myself... rusty, aged, crusty surfaces.  She gave me some leads on some new glazes to try and I ordered a few of them.  The nice thing about having an artist friend like Diane is that we are both comfortable enough in our styles to share specifics, and we know that we will each do something very different, so we are not overly protective of sharing our new works and ideas.  Anyway, I can't wait to run some new glaze tests with the new textured glazes and some old ones that I haven't tried in a while.  I also need to start running tests on some bright colored glazes to contrast these textured and dark surfaces.  I have more underglazes than you could shake a stick at, so I shouldn't have to buy anymore.  (hehe, famous last words... I am sure I will not be able to find just the right shocking yellow)  

I started a photo set called Danger, Doors, and Details over on Flickr.  It will contain a series of pics I took on the Cruise that are not as classically "pretty" as the gorgeous landscapes and ship pictures that I shared over on Facebook.  But these are the things that caught my eye as an artist, and I am itching to incorporate these inspirations into new work.  I was looking at danger signs, safety items, doors, symbols, archtecture, and ship equipment.

Picture of some rusty metal from a shipyard on St. Maartin


Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be purchased at her Etsy shop and her jewelry and gifts can be purchased in her Etsy Galleria.

If you would like to leave a comment on this post, please go to the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with the new glazes!! I hope you keep your eyes open for one of your heart pendants in the July Bead Trends ;)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! ooh, did you make a piece for Bead Trends? cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy patina there. I love that you and Diane are so giving to one another. I think that it is a great compliment to an artist to trust another who works in the same medium, and trusts herself enough to share techniques and skills with the knowledge that you will each take your inspiration in new directions. That is a divine friendship, Miss Melanie! Can't wait to see the glaze tests...those are my favorite types of textures and patinas! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. ChristineRitcheySunday, January 31, 2010

    Love the post and the new ideas! Either you or your artist traveling buddy might find something useful at www.micromark.com They have lots of treatments for making metal, wood and other surfaces look old, moldy and rusty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, yeah Diane and I go way back. She's a good one! I can't wait to get my new glazes too!

    Christine, thanks for that site! Lots of neat stuff there. And for the silly email too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that necklace! I just hope that you are still doing the bead cruises after we get our finances in order to buy a house. If I went on one before I would NEVER hear the end of it.

    ReplyDelete