January 7, 2010

Amusing Grace

As I predicted yesterday, today is another busy day. The first thing on my agenda was to finish writing two article submissions for Stringing Magazine. I was able to finish that up and will be shipping them, along with two bracelets off today. Hopefully next time I see them, in late summer or fall, one or more of them will have been published. It feels good to be writing articles again and getting into the publishing groove. Last year, I submitted just a few, but ended up mostly doing work for books. I just never was able to keep up with the periodical schedule. Now that I am in the routine, it should be easier. It can be so hard to fit article writing into my day to day work. It requires me to plan so far into the future and keep ahead of the calendar. It's so different from doing more immediate things, like photographing beads, listing them on Etsy, and making a sale... that is so direct! But the articles are a huge part of how I bring people to my sites and blog in the first place, so I really need to step it up this year and I am proud of myself that I have started the year off well with writing. After I finished this morning, I submitted ten more ideas to another magazine that i would love to work with, so we'll see how that turns out. I am also sending a pile of beads out to Interweave to consider for Beads 2010. I *heart* Interweave!

So, speaking of Stringing Magazine, here is one of the necklace designs I wrote as a project article for the current winter issue. I love this piece, and can't wait to get it back so I can wear it again! It has glass pearls, a cute key with a heart cut out, a carnival coin that says "for amusement only" on it, gunmetal chain and brass bits, a porcelain gear and an Escutcheon pendant. It's called Amusing Grace (hehe, see what I did there? ... the inspiration for the name was the carnival coin). I have some sets of the escutcheon and gear in the Etsy shop, as well as some collections like the one above, with the hard to find key and coin included.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your articles! I love the necklace, its so fun! If I am reading this right 6 of the ideas you sent in today got approved already?? That is fantastic!! Do you get paid for that? I find all this so interesting :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this piece as soon as I saw it. I used your similar keyhole in my Vault at Midnight for Heather's Fun with Focals challenge. I wanted to get that published but it may be too similar. I will find some place for it.
    Writing is actually the easiest part for me. I need to take more time to be proactive about hitting deadlines and designing. I let those opportunities pass me by all too often. And then I kick myself. (Kicking self right now for missing the last Stringing deadline!)
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie,
    Well today was a special case, because I was asked by the editor for some pieces for an upcoming issue, and told her about my time crunch, so she was able to approve them right away. It usually takes longer.

    ...and actually, it turned into 7 pieces! yay!

    Yes, some of the magazines pay for the articles, and some I have done in exchange for advertising. But more valuable than the payment for the articles, for me at least, is having my pieces shown in the magazines. It's awesome advertising!

    Erin,
    Oh thanks so much! I love what you did with yours! Yeah, the writing is pretty challenging for me, its just kind of hard to stay focused on it. I do understand about kicking oneself for missed opportunities, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! (and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person sending things for Beads 2010 at the 11th hour!)

    ReplyDelete