December 30, 2009

So this is the new year...

"And I have no resolutions
For self assigned penance
For problems with easy solutions"




So I mentioned a new blogging project that I will be doing in 2010. One of the things that helps me creatively is giving myself structure and deadlines to follow. I think it holds me accountable and motivates me to do spend the time to do the things I need and want to do. And doing this via blog makes it public, so that adds accountability. So I have chosen to start a new project called Song Lore this year, to give me some guidance in my creativity.

The Song Lore Project will be a collection of handcrafted items inspired by some of the most meaningful music in my life. I am a lover of music, and the stories and imagery that can be found in great songwriting. Music creates a soundtrack to my life, and I find that there are songs and albums that follow me and give me comfort and inspiration. I am always seeking out new music to add to this soundtrack, and I often rediscover music from my younger years that seems to reappear and inspire me again. I have always wanted to do a series of work inspired by music, and I have decided that this is a perfect time to start this series. I used to post a lot of music to my blog, and I really enjoyed the multi-media experience that it created. But other than a necklace here or there, I never really focused on using music as direct inspiration.

My goal is to post a new song every week, probably on Saturdays (you know, so I can call it Song Lore Saturday... because I am a sucker for alliteration). I want to make at least two pieces inspired by the songs every month, in some way. It might be a bead or pendant, or a necklace, or something totally different... I don't want to put limits on the form. Since my process takes so long, I will have to revisit the Song Lore posts when I finish pieces, so I hope you will be patient. My ultimate goal is to have this endless source of musical inspiration that I hope will help me bring to life many new artworks!

So the first song is "New Year" by Deathcab for Cutie. I am sure that seems like an obvious choice, but it is a great song that inspires me, and I have been a Deathcab junkie over the last few months, with the album Narrow Stairs playing almost non-stop in my car over the holidays.



In particular, these lyrics have inspired me:

"i wish the world was flat like the old days
then i could travel just by folding a map
no more airplanes, or speedtrains, or freeways
there'd be no distance that can hold us back."

I think of my word of the year, *journey* and my upcoming travels, and this makes me want to create some safe travel amulets. I have collected my materials, and have started squishing clay for these pieces, and I will tell you more soon!

8 comments:

  1. fantastic inspiration! I am always interested to hear music that inspires others. Your first choice is pretty good and doesn't seem so obvious to me just because of the song's name. The lyrics are totally appropriate for you to start this new journey of inspiration.
    Congratulations, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, Thanks! I have been tending to seek inspiration outside of other beadmakers or beads and jewelry for my work. I think it makes it more challenging and interesting! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY excited for this project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project Melanie. I will look forward to how it unfolds. I am sure it will be inspiring to others as well. You always come up with such great ways of seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,
    Thanks, I appreciate your compliments! I really enjoy sharing the crazy ways that I get inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Marath Stewart would say, "it's a beautiful thing."
    Great idea. Looking forward to the Saturday posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very cool idea. I know what you mean about accountability; you are so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like finding inspiration in unusual things, ocassionally finding inspiration in a book or joke, or youtube video. It will be interesting to see how your Song Lore Saturdays progress. Happy Crafting.

    ReplyDelete