December 29, 2009

Counting Down the Hours

One of the new Clockpunk Ornaments I made this holiday season

I tend to get introspective this time of year, when the old year is ending and a new one is just beginning. While I don't really do the *resolution* thing, I do tend to make my plans and goals. It is the end of a business year, so I reflect on what worked and what didn't work for me in my business, as well as creatively/artistically and in my personal life.

In my personal life, it was a year of great change and growth. While it was often difficult, there is so much happiness. I knew that this year would be difficult as I tried to balance my new life with work and my career, but it was important for me to spend time and energy on the relationships in my life and to let them grow and become important to me. I even found love again, which was unexpected and scary at first, but is very welcome and makes me feel content now.

Artistically, this was a bit of a frustrating year. While I feel like I came up with some new ideas and implemented them, there were many more things I was not able to do. Business was good, and I knew it could have been better if I worked harder, but I needed to not work as hard and crazy as I had in the past. And since most of my business has been production focused, when I was busy, I was not really indulging my creative side. This has always been a difficult part of my business, and I think I was successful with the start of transitioning away from so much production and into more unique works. I plan to continue this transition into the new year.

I plan to use this blog space in a more fulfilling way. I feel like I have neglected it and haven't used it to its full potential. I have planned some new blog projects to keep me going, and want to push myself to work on other projects for it. My blog is such a great tool for my creativity and my business, and I really need to respect it more. Hopefully, my plans will integrate my business, writing, blogging, and creative projects together in unison! That's one of the New Year goals, anyway!

Tick Tock, time is getting away from me today. Have a great New Year's Eve tomorrow! I will be back soon with lots of exciting new ideas and will share them with you!


6 comments:

  1. Here! Here! Change is scary. Growth is painful. But the rewards are worth it. I applaud you and your Magic Year. May the seeds planted continue to grow and flourish boundlessly and fruitfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about "respect" for your blog space. That respect directly translates into respect for the people who choose to come to your blog and something that I regard very highly. People who have singled me out to 'follow' deserve the best that I have to give them and not me whining about my day or whatever. I applaud your efforts, Miss Melanie, and I look forward to the new year following you!

    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    P.S. Saw "Sherlock Holmes" last night and all I could think about was making jewelry inspired by the movie using YOUR steampunk treasures you sent! If you haven't seen it, you must! Robert Downey Jr makes me go weak in the knees for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Biz mentor always says there's more work than anybody can do. Sounds like you are on the right track for a kick-a$$ biz!! Keep goin' girl!

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew,
    Thank you for your thoughts and for reading mine. I wish you the very best for the new year!

    Erin,
    I have always had a hard time negotiating how personal to make my blogging. I think I want to share more next year... but probably carefully and slowly.

    oh yes, I saw Sherlock the other day too! RDJ was mighty fine! heh... later in the evening we watched Iron Man too, so I got my fill of him that day!

    Joann,
    Yeah a friend of mine says that he loves working for himself... He gets to work any 80 hours a week that he wants! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ya sista. I think we all do this to ourselves. Second guessing, "if only" shoulda, coulda... I've got over this.
    I love your blog and your inspiring jewelry and beads. Looking forward to blogging with you in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannie,
    Thanks for the compliments. I don't really feel bad about my progress in the last year. I don't regret anything or feel like I am beating myself up about it. I just feel like I want more and know that I need to push for it. I wish you much success in 2010 too!

    ReplyDelete