September 18, 2009

Product Playtime: Wire Forms and Celestial Inspiration

I recently had the opportunity to play with some of Rings and Things' Silver and Gold Filled Wire Connectors. I received the three pieces above and they have been sitting around my studio taunting me for a little over a month. I knew one day I would get to them, and do something fun with wire, and yesterday was the day! I was inspired by the star design, which made me think of moons and other celestial ideas. And since I recently brought back my Moon Face beads to my website, I thought they would be a good match.
For the first piece, Moonlight Coil, I used the circular wire form for the centerpiece, with bronze wire coiled onto the wire at the top and bottom. I really like the bottom two loops of the wire form and how they are attached to the larger ring from which the leaf charm drops. I think that's a nice little detail. I really wasn't sure what to do with the long bar wire form, but with a little bit of heavier bronze wire to hold the center pendant in place, it seemed to form itself into a more elaborate centerpiece. I used my medium sized Moon Face bead in this piece, along with leaves and accent oval links, all in Peachy Tan.

For the second piece, called Star Child, I had more fun with wire, and hanging tiny smoky quartz beads from each of the small loops on the star wire form. I used some larger smoky quartz for the centerpiece and sides, along with three Baby Moon Beads in Earthy Green. I also used a little bit of thin bronze wire to wrap around the star itself to add a little bit of decoration.

Overall, I really enjoyed working with these wire forms! The little loops on them were a little small, but I was able to work with them. I think they would be fun to use in a more delicate way, with thin wire and sparkly crystals. I would try some of the other shapes, too. I recommend them for your own beading experiments!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! The first one looks like something a faerie priestess would wear, and the second is very witchy (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the coil work you added to the pieces. It really gives them an extra dimension.

    The star form is especially amazing.Putting the large stone in the middle really makes it pop!

    -Suzann Sladcik Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have been sitting on my worktable too! I love LOVE love what you did with the wire wrapping on that first one. I used it to thread all sorts of wire wrapped crystals....will take a picture to post soon. Love the moon faces! Do you do any crescent moons?
    Thank you so much for the imaginative inspiration today!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love these melanie. you really changed the feeling of those pieces, I wouldn't have thought to use them that way!

    ReplyDelete