September 17, 2009

Hands to Heal

I listed the rest of the "vintage" Stoneware Collage Boxes in the Etsy shop this morning. As I mentioned in a previous post, many of these pendants feature hand imagery in them. I think that being a person who works with my hands daily, I am drawn to hand imagery. My hands are important to me. Sadly, I don't take care of them as well as I should. And the clay and glazes and tools that I use really abuse my hands. Right now I am dreading today's task of glazing, because my hands are sore. I tend to be prone to very dry and cracking skin, and my right hand is in bad shape right now. I am sure I should quit whining about it and go to a dermatologist, but I just never seem to make the time to do it and end up just waiting out the healing process. Besides, I had a lot of skin issues as a kid and the doctors never seemed to be able to help with it, so I guess I have a bad attitude about it now. I guess I just figure I will spend a lot of money for te appointment and the prescriptions and get no relief. *shrug* Anyway , that's my little rant for the day. Its time to put on some rubber gloves (oh how i hate working with them on) and get my glazing done!

7 comments:

  1. Those boxes are gorgeous! I can see just how time consuming they would be but oh so nice. About the hands...have you tried any of that glove in a bottle stuff? I haven't used it and should for similar reasons. My sister is a nurse and her hands are wet all the time from constant washing. She's got all sorts of skin problems as well. She swears by this stuff and uses it at home as well to keep her hands protected when she is doing wet or dirty work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I love your boxes! There is so much symbolism in a box! No pun intended! I feel for your hands! Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear poor you! Try putting on lanolin at night and cover with cotton gloves, but remember we are supposed to suffer for art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hands used to be so dry and itchy when I worked as a hair dresser I would wake up in the night and scrape them across the top of the freezer on the ice. That's how bad they itched. I ended up healing them with Eucerine and white cotton gloves while sleeping. I did this for a few weeks and my hands were never that bad again. It's non- script and works wonders! :)

    I am drawn to hand images too. :) They are so precious to us as artists, mothers, lovers, and in all we do and hold dear.

    I love the new pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those boxes! As a ceramacist, wild animal rehabber and jewelry maker, I have to take care of my hands or I really believe they might fall off! Because of the chemical exposure from jewelery,clay,glazing and constantly washing my hands with betadine between feeding each baby animal, I couldn't bend my hands without having them crack and bleed. Ugh.

    I use the white cotton gloves and either Vaseline petroleum jelly or Bag Balm - yes, Bag Balm! Used on cows' udders! Walmart carries it in the Beauty department, so I'm not the only one! *-> Just slather on a lot of goo and put on your gloves before you go to bed. You should see a lot of improvement in a week or so, if you're really consisten about doing it. On the other hand, who ever met a jewelry maker or ceramics artist with pretty hands? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second the bag balm!!! Also make sure you are drinking lots of water. Try aloe for 15 minutes to heal, then the bag balm. Somtimes wearing the gloves, your hands perspire and thats worse, try powder in them first. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hands are good, but I went through every remedy known to doctor and drug store for my dry feet. The only thing that worked for me was Naturally Nourishing Milk & Honey Body Lotion by Burts Bees. The Vaseline "Total Moisture" and aloe lotions work pretty well, too. But that Burts Bees one is amazing. It worked even better for my feet than their special feet lotion! lol

    ReplyDelete