September 15, 2009

Dragonfly Carving Experiment

I am very happy to say that I finally just dug in and started (and finished) a new carving! I have been wanting to do a dragonfly for a while, to replace a charm design that I used to make that was a really good seller. That old design was cast from a vintage button, and while it is beautiful, it wasn't an original design. So when I discontinued it, I decided to make my own version, with my own imagery. This is what came out last night and this morning. I didn't sketch it first, I just started carving the clay while looking at several pictures of dragonflies. Perhaps next time I will start with a sketch.

I like it alright, but I want to do another one. This feels a little stiff to me, and I want to have a more art nouveau feel to it, so I am going to start a new one. This one has too many roundy spiral things for what I was going for. But since I am working on a new molding technique, I think this one will start the experimentation. Also, I have another line that I want to start carving that will have a lot of roundy spirals, so I think this was good practice.

I am never sure if I should post these experiments and process pieces that I am unsure about. I am not posting and questioning the design to fish for compliments or to have my ego boosted. This is just my process, and I like to share it, even when I am not entirely sure of the direction. Anyway, I have had too little to blog about lately, I am excited to at least have the start of something new.

And now that I have started something and have a direction to go, I am motivated to work on more things. Carving is very addictive to me, once I start, I want to do more and more. I just love working in porcelain!

11 comments:

  1. I love that you post about your process. I think we can all learn from each other as artists this way. And even though you're not fishing for compliments, I'm still going to tell you that I love the dragonfly you just did and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like process photos, personally. I like seeing how artists work and what goes into creating a new design. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are sharing the process...it so fascinating and gives me insight into how much of your heart and soul goes into everything you do, Melanie! (Not that I didn't know that already!). I think that little dragonfly will take flight in your talented hands, and from the process I can see you going in all sorts of daring directions. Thank you for sharing your inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing with us your experiments on clay. I really love the way you carved this bead. The dragonfly reminds me in fact what we could see during the "art nouveau" period in France.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you and others post about your creative processes...Even the things that don't turn out exactly as you hoped or planned. It's neat to see the projects moving along...I like the dragonfly, but I know how that can be - you make something you aren't completely satisfied with, but other people look at you all squinty "Really, why don't you like it?" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love that dragonfly, spiraly and swirly is something that I am really into. I hope you do end up using it, I would buy one for sure!!

    Hugs
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, I agree - I would love if you made at least a few of these - I LOVE it and SO want one :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post of the process of your work is great. I have always found your carvings to be wonderful. I look forward to more of your posts as you move along in your new directions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this one as well! It feels young and fresh. I enjoy your process sharing...it makes each of your pieces that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might just be an experiment but I really like this bead. I think that it would be a great focal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you share your process and thoughts. We appreciate it, that's why I love this blog.
    Can't wait to see the dragonfly finished.

    ReplyDelete