September 28, 2009

ArtBeads Artistry: Crystal Week: Fairy Wings Necklace


It has taken me some time to clear out a space for my new beading area in the studio and get down to work, but I finally got a chance to play with the delightful Swarovski crystal pendants that I received last month from Art Beads. Part of the reason it took me so long is that when I picked out the beads, I had several projects in mind instead of one major project. I have been a busy beader the past couple of days and I want to share the things I made with you this week.

The first piece I used was the Dragonfly Pendant in Crystal Satin. I really like this wing shaped bead, particularly the asymmetry of it. It is a very weighty bead with a large hole, and the shape looked like it would be perfect with my little fairy beads as a suggestion of wings.

I wired together a large pendant with the crystal pendant, a leaf, and a fairy bead and attached them to a large Vintaj butterfly filigree piece. Onto that, I layered a Swarovski crystal button and a Vintaj leaf. For the necklace, I used heavy bronze SoftFlex and wired it in and out of some Czech Picasso brick beads, brass beads, and colored crystal pearls (detail below).

Clearly, I was in an autumn woodland fairy kind of mood! And working in the browns and greens and bronzes was a good way for me to warm up to this beading session. But of course, I want to be able to submit these new designs for magazines, and the editors are probably looking for spring and summer looks right now, so I tried to keep that in mind in the next piece I made. Come back tomorrow to see it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! I love that necklace soooo much! The faerie head looks adorable atop the wings :)

    I also have a wing pendant coming from Artbeads... in fact, it might be in today's mail :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you have been tripping the light fantastic in the faery woods, my dear. I love the way that crystal looks like the wings for the little face. So fanciful and free. Loving it! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better late than never! This is a wonderful piece that you've put together :-)

    ReplyDelete