August 15, 2009

Surreal Saturday

Untitled (Tilly Losch) c. 1935 by Joseph Cornell

I am having a little quiet time right now, resting for a bit between doing errands and cleaning, and waiting for company to come in a few hours. I had a nice salad for lunch, and spent some time browsing through a used art book that I bought about Joseph Cornell. I have always been mesmerized and intrigued by the works I have seen of Cornell's, but never spent a lot of time researching him. This book was perfect, and I find myself very calmed by looking at his assemblages and collages. I also recently bought a novel by Max Ernst, which is made entirely of collage images, mostly made from old engravings.

I find myself wondering why I keep coming back to the Surrealists, for years and years, and why I am so fascinated by them. I also wonder why surrealism does not play a role in my own artwork, which is surprising considering how much I am drawn to it. Perhaps this explains some of my recent restlessness with not having much time for "play" or for making new art. There is a disconnect somehow, and I am very curious about exploring it.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE joseph Cornell. I even named a betta fish after him.

    ReplyDelete