August 12, 2009

Shino!


I recently got a sampler set of Shino glazes that I have been wanting to try! For the ceramic purists out there, these are not *really* real shino, since I am firing in an electric kiln, with no reduction, or potential for carbon trapping, blah blah blah. But, they look like shino, and there were some really great glazes in this sampler! I am impressed. My favorites are in the picture on top, with the ones I like somewhat less in the picture on bottom. All are on my white porcelain bead body, and I just glazed a variety of leftover bisque that I had sitting around. I think I will retest all of them on the same form, perhaps something a bit more appropriate. A voluptuous form of some sort seems to be a good choice for shino, for some reason. I would also like to test the whole series on a clay body with some iron in it, like my tile glaze. I think it would be fun to make some stoneware beads for a change! What do you think of these glazes?

11 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous but I agree with you, the ones in the top picture have something that the ones in the bottom pic lack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get a sample of "cedar shino"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andi, yeah I think that is the case, at least in this round of tests.

    Diane, the Cedar Shino is the one in the top picture, the really rusty red one that says peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the green one on the wings in the top picture! It has a wonderful "old" look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the ones in the top pic are better in general, but I do like a couple in the bottom picture - the first piece in the second row and the third piece in the second row. Either way, it looks like you got a good collection of fun colors to play and experiment further with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use these glazes often and definitely find that they need more defined textures to show up- I think the more uniform surface causes the detail to fade into the background. Lovely experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really like teh blossom one... this looks really great with the contrasting, shining colours. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I find it very interesting. I love your work, love ceramic, love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance, I was reminded of tooled, shiny, hard, leather pieces. There probably is a place for them. But, I like the greenish ones and the "love"(more matte?) ones best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, these pieces are fantastic! I especially love the dragonfly. I would love to purchase the top row (the 2 on the right and left of the dragonfly as well as they dragonfly piece also). Are they for sale now? I know you said this was an experiment.
    Thanks,
    Whispering Eagle

    ReplyDelete