August 9, 2009

New Treasures and Extra Links


I have been meaning to post this picture of some delightful gifts I have received recently! When I visited with Heather of Humblebeads, she gave me some of her new beads that have come out of her recent play sessions! One is a polymer link with her classic designs set into a brass bezel, another is a charm made from a hand domed disc set with her polymer, and the other is a copper plate with a key etched into it! I love them all! The fourth item in the picture is a borosilicate marble that my brother's friend Robbie gave me when he was visiting. It's a tiny little treasure.

I sort of envy the materials that Heather works in sometimes. Polymer seems so direct and intstantly satisfying. It takes me so long to make new stuff in ceramic clay. Don't get me wrong, I love porcelain, but I just get frustrated sometimes with how long the process takes. I have many ideas but just don't seem to have the time to work on them.

Now that my big order is done, and my other ones are nearing completion, I feel a sense of relief. And also some excitment that I have a little time to work on new things. But there is this window of time that I fight with motivation. I want to rest for a day or two, to re-energize, but that makes it harder to jump into the next thing. Also, I have so many ideas, I get a little frazzled with what to do first, when I have a little time to play. It can be so overwhelming that I end up not really doing anything! That's one of the drawbacks to being a production bead maker, for me...how to spend my time between production and coming up with new things. I have been wondering lately about these things, and how to change my business so the extremes are not so intense and production and playtime and idea development are more balanced in my work. I don't really have the answer yet, but I keep thinking about it...

For now, I leave you with this week's Extra Extra links:

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Andrew reveals ten new jewelry designs.

Strands of Beads
Melissa creates a simple but stunning necklace with goodies from Rings & Things

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
Lorelei shares some links to another really cool blog beading challenge.

Katie's Beading Blog
Check out Katie's upcoming workshops!

Jean Campbell
Jean whips up a pair of funky Steampunky earrings; you can make them, too!

Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Summer heat getting to you? Cindy has a wrist full of Frost Links in Pear to keep her cool.

Carmi's Art/Life World
A little Friendly Plastic, a charm and resin makes for an amazing pendant.

Beading Arts
Beautiful Swarovski components from ArtBeads.com inspired Cyndi...right over the moon!

Barbe Saint John - New Treasures from Forgotten Artifacts
Join in the fun of the Objects & Elements Reader Challenge!

Art Bead Scene
Looking for some new earring ideas? The Art Bead Scene reviews 101 Wire Earrings.

About.com Jewelry Making
Is the under 20 crowd crafting more or less these days? Take the quick poll & see the results of what other crafters are thinking about this issue.

A Bead A Day
Do you use buttons in your jewelry designs? Stop by A Bead A Day to share your experiences and ideas.

1 comment:

  1. wow, the link with the polymer clay is beautiful! I love the idea of mixing the bezel with the clay... fabulous!

    ReplyDelete