July 29, 2009

Boo!


So this is what I have been looking at lately... a whole bunch of spooky little eyes looking back at me! This is a pile of about 150 assorted Spookyhead charms that I made for an order. The buyer is getting ready early for the halloween season (ooh my favorite time of year!) These charms are all handmade, without molds. Each starts as a ball of clay, and more clay is added and lines and marks pressed into the clay to make the faces. So each one is just a tiny bit different from each other, even if they are the same design. While this is time consuming and requires concentration and skill, I think it is one of my favorite ways to make beads. I like the simplicity of using just the clay and a few very simple tools to create an endless variety of designs. Its my favorite kind of production.

I was very excited yesterday to ship these charms all out to the customer (well, all that I have... I still need to make about 80 more) but I was short ONE black robot! It was frustrating that I miscounted! So I spent the day glazing not only the one robot, but about 80 more beads to fill the rest of the kiln. Took me quite a while and changed my plans, but it had to get done eventually. Sometimes I wake up, form the day's work plan, and some little twist like that makes me have to scrap the plan for a new one. I have become accustomed to having to be flexible like that with work, but once and a while it is frustrating!

So the plan today is to get these shipped, do some clay work, walk the Zo, and pick up some veggie sausages for the planning party for Construct tonight. That's the plan right now at least... only time will tell if it has to change! *laugh*

6 comments:

  1. HELP! the beads are looking back at me! The eyes are following me around the room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! What fun Halloween-y beads :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are super fun! I do like the robot beads. I would love to see what gets created with these...and I can't imagine being that far ahead on a season...I can barely keep up with next week! Kudos on the big project. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking today that it's time to start coming up with Halloween designs. Those beads are darling - I wish they were coming to my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm exhausted just looking at that pile of beads! You must have been working like a madwoman to get them all done!

    ReplyDelete