April 2, 2009

A change of scenery


Well, I have completed my taxes and paperwork that has been looming over me for weeks, and have wandered off on a little vacation. I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a couple of hours away from home, and am spending some time exploring some fun places in town, and recharging my batteries. One of the fun stops today was a small costume shop, with aisles and shelves filled with costumes, masks, wigs, and props.

The owner of the Timid Rabbit seemed like a fascinating guy, and he chatted with us about the latex masks that he makes and about random bits of costuming history. I really enjoyed poking around, looking at all the old military uniforms and costumes available for rental. I think I liked seeing all the hats best of all.

Although all the furry critter masks were pretty awesome too! It was a fascinating place, and I really enjoyed it. The next stop was a neat antique shop, but I will have to tell you about that tomorrow! Time to make some dinner...

6 comments:

  1. Wow Melanie - you passed right by me! I have been to the Timid Rabbit too - I rented a costume there once! Battle Creek has a very similar costume store that is equally as cool - it's called Fantasy Costume. It's right across from the Art Center I am involved in and next to a cute little cafe. You should check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I have to say the image of the bunny heads is giving me a "Donny Darko" feel! Eeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful mini-vacation! I look forward to hearing about the antique shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome you shared these pictures. I have never seen a shop like that and was delighted too from way over here, lol. Enjoy yourself! Peace for all

    ReplyDelete
  5. peacockfairy,
    ah yes, I did pass right by you! I have not spent much time in Battle Creek at all. Kzoo is very new to me, and there are a lot of neat things to explore here! The Battle Creek art center/cafe/costume shop sound great... like the makings of a fun afternoon!

    Thank you all for your comments! Will blog about the rest of my week/weekend soon!

    ReplyDelete