March 30, 2009

Palimpsest Inspiration

One of the other inspirations to create this new design was a description of a character given to me by author Catherynne M. Valente from her new book Palimpsest. She told me that her character Casimira commands an army of clockwork insects. This was my interpretation of a scarab based on that description, and my plan is to create a brass filigree hand decoration using the design, something similar to the Alchemical Glove I made a couple of months ago


Unfortunately, I have not yet read Palimpsest, although it looks absolutely compelling to me. I have been in awe, reading Catherynne's Live Journal and following her book release and tour, and seeing all of the art and craft that has been inspired by her work. Check out the beautiful trailer for the novel:


1 comment:

  1. I feel like i am hearing tantalizing bits and pieces about that book left and right... my book devouring boyfriend told me about it a couple months ago, and a fascinationg with the premise of the plot washed over me earlier last week... completely out of the blue. I really need to read this book. Just need to get hold of it somehow... not as easy here is at would have been in North America.

    Thanks for the trailer. It served to further fuel the fire.

    ReplyDelete