February 25, 2009

Reversible Heart Embrace Pendant


I am rather pleased with how this new pendant turned out. It was surprisingly simple to make, with just a ceramic heart and two bit of brass filigree from Vintaj. But it looks really elaborate and detailed. The particularly neat thing about this pendant is how it has a different look on the front and back, so it is truly reversible. I also am very pleased with the bail on top, and I will be using that frequently in other new pieces.


I called this piece Heart Embrace, because it feels like the porcelain heart is getting a big warm embrace from the brass butterfly. And that seems fitting right now, because I have been feeling like I have been embracing porcelain again for the first time in a long time. Its funny, when you work with a material day after day, for years. You sometimes take it for granted. Porcelain had recently been becoming the stuff I use to do my job. That happens when I get in production mode, I don't really even think about it anymore. My hands just repeat the familiar steps, the same repetitions. I forgot how much I adore this material, until I started a new series of disc carvings. I have spent many hours in the last few days immersed in porcelain again, my whole world existing for hours on end in a two inch circle of kaolin, carving away, millimeters at a time, the rest of the world dissolving around me as I drift off into a creative dream space, with my tools and clay dust building around me. I have remembered why I love clay so much. I look forward to sharing these new carvings with you soon.


This pendant is listed in the Earthenwood Etsy shop.

3 comments:

  1. excellent post as always, your words so lovely today talking about how love makes times disappear, thank you - peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. These heart's ROCK ! I need to get me one ! Hey you ROCK too ! Love reading your blog! Keep up the great work ! Debra's Dezinez

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I will frequently find myself using items/findings/stones, etc, as they were apparently meant to be used. And then I see what you or someone else has done, thinking out of the box, taking a deviation from the norm and something finally *clicks* and I realize I could do so much more with what I have! Thanks for the inspiration and for the reminder that while stoicism has its place, there is also room for the wanderer in this world of ours.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete