January 16, 2009

"The daylight made to race right by, With paint and paste and stitch and awl"

A quick post today, as I head out for the weekend. I wanted to show a bit of progress on last night's costume work. I worked on painting my skirt and top for my costume. I am painting many gears with brassy gold paint onto black fabric. The skirt (shown above) was a basic pleated black cotton skirt, to which I added rusty copper lace along the bottom. I also put a few decorative brass buttons around the pleats. The gears are handpainted onto the fabric and I will add more, and detail them a bit. I think the skirt has a bit of a poodle skirt sort of feeling, which I rather enjoy.

So my inspiration for this whole costume is a clockwork doll. It didn't really start out that way, but it all sort of came together. So now I have more direction and focus on something other than a random steampunky outfit! It is even more exciting to work on now, and I continue getting more ideas for it! I also want to share a bit of inspiration that I have found... here is Abney Park performing "Herr Drosselmeyer's Doll" Hehe, don't expect to fine me dancing around on point, though! I will have combat boots instead.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh. Nice skirt! I can't wait to see the finished costume.

    ReplyDelete