January 20, 2009

Bootstraps

I watched the inauguration today, and while I don't often write about things political, I think today is an important day in history. I was impressed by our new President's speech, and it filled me with a rare feeling (rare, at least lately) of pride and patriotism in my country. I will leave the analysis and criticism of the speech to others more well versed in political thought than I am, but I did want to make a note here of one part of the speech that resonated with me. It was about the history of the citizens of this country, our forefathers, and those who came here from other places in search of freedom and hope:
"Our journey has never been one of short-cuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted - for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things - some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom." President Barack Obama, inauguration speech 2009

First of all, I absolutely adore the term "makers of things". Of course, as a craftsperson and artisan, that part immediately spoke to me. I have always felt a kindred spirit with makers and laborers of the past, working in many of the same materials and techniques of the old days. I also associate with merchants, workers, and those who have worked independently from the corporate machines to pull themselves up by their bootstraps to seek happiness. This is what the "American Dream", has always meant to me... working for individual prosperity and independence. So to hear this praise given to the hard work and unknown craftsmen, and feeling like I am a part of that tradition in a way, felt really exciting. I am looking forward to the changes that I hope we will begin to create in this country, starting today.
Also today, some pictures of the boots I decorated for my Clockwork Doll costume. Made with some inexpensive tall black boots, metallic paints, 3d paint, and fancy ribbon.

1 comment:

  1. You did that with paint? Wow, it looks great!
    That weirdly rhymed...I mean...I totally rhymed that on purpose. All of my comments are left in prose. ;)

    ReplyDelete