September 17, 2008

making lemonade


hey, thank you all who commiserated with me over the past two days about my kiln (and fridge). Sometimes it is nice to vent, and I really appreciate all the support. The kiln disaster turned out ok. I was able to salvage some of the beads that are harder to make, and glaze those. In particular, the spookyheads, which take a while to make because they are done entirely by hand. Overfired bisque *can* be glazed, it just takes a long time. Using glazes that have a lot of gum in them helps (and my black and red glazes do...that's mostly what i use for the spookyheads, fortunately) and also heating them up to make the glaze dry helps too (I use an electric mug warmer. ow! hot!) Its funny, actually, these salvaged fired better than usual..they were cleaner because the excess glaze was easier to wipe off and the clear glaze over it turned this nice satin matte because it was thinly applied. *shrug* who knew? Not that I would do this on purpose, it took me about 4x as long to glaze than usual the other day.

Anyway, the customers who were effected most by this were emailed, and apologized to, and they wrote back and told me not to worry. Have I mentioned how awesome my customers are? Awesome. So I remade the beads for those orders last night, and got caught up on more order work too. All in all, I am pretty caught up and shipping on time, with the exception of the orders I emailed about the delays for. So I feel pretty good to go away this weekend without worries! Not entirely without work, as I have some articles to write while I am travelling, but that is minor and if it gets done, great...if not, its ok too. I am looking forward to a small break from a very busy month. See you all in a few days!

7 comments:

  1. Someone once told me there are no bad experiences, just good ones and good ones with some lessons attached!:) Sounds like you got some things out of your experience. For one, you learned you are capable of dealing with adversity and disaster and still come out on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing Better than good customers! I agree with erin, I try to learn from all mistakes, catastrophes and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are basically understanding, especially those with an interest in owning handmade items and who are 'makers' themselves. I just knew people would be supportive. Glad to know it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things worked out - have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of your avid customers and fans, and one of the things I appreciate most about your work is how much integrity and soul you put into it. Someone who didn't care as much as you do might have tried to sell off those beads anyway, but you take the long (and right) way out. You would never run me off that way--that's a sure-fire way to keep me coming back. :) I hope you get a nice break over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your support and taking the time to comment! You make me feel awesome! This is one of the reasons I am so happy to be able to do what i do for a living!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the gorgeous orangy color of the heart and beads in your post! If those are the over-fired ones, you may be onto something new! As for my order, all good things come to those that wait!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete