September 1, 2008

Laboring Away

Happy Labor Day all! I have always liked the idea of Labor Day, a day to celebrate all the hard working citizens of the country. I think we should honor labor more, I think it goes unnoticed too often. I like to think of all the people who do the really hard jobs, the grueling and thankless jobs that we totally take for granted. I like to reflect on my own work on Labor Day too, and how very fortunate I am to be able to live a life of relative leisure, and that I have the ability to pursue my artistic work instead of other physically or mentally difficult tasks and jobs that others do. I really have quite a charmed life, when I think of it. I am thinking of labor and history a lot lately, in the imagery I am using...particularly the steampunk inspired pieces, which use a lot of imagery from factories and tools and hardware from days past. Today I will spend some time with my family and relax, celebrating the last bit of summer, and I will sing along to all the great Phil Ochs and Billy Bragg labor tunes while I drive. And I will enjoy some time off...I hope you will too. Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment