May 10, 2008

Stitch in Time Winner! plus shopping.


I was going to blog today about the inspiration behind my Alycia Von Kylnfyre steampunk character, but I forgot to pick a winner yesterday for the Stitch in Time contest. The winner is: Androidlusts who commented on the LJ cross post. Congrats! I will contact you for your info and I wills end off the three gear charms as your prize.

So yesterday I went out shopping for some steampunk-ish attire to wear for my show. I didn't go to Target of Kohls really expecting to find much that was overtly steamy, but my whole point was to choose some regular clothing that I think works in this style, especially when paired with accessories (its all about the accessories). Since I am dressing for a grueling multi day trade show, I do have to stay comfortable and be able to work without a lot of fussing. I was pretty impressed with the things I found, and I picked up several tops (the hardest things for me to find and like in my size). Paired with the pocketed cargo pants or long skirts that I already own, I think they will be great. So a great day of shopping! I was really tickled to find this dark grey newsboy-ish cap at Target. The brass grommets were already there but I added the Steam Stone gears, obviously. It looks way cute in combination with the goggles, which are coming along as well...

11 comments:

  1. Now you know with all this character and costume build-up, you're going to have to post a picture when you're all decked out. :) I can't wait to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You soooo fancy !!!
    Can't wait for reference :))
    yercharlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. whee I am fancy!

    You need goggles too, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is too cute!

    I've been reading steampunk magazine all weekend, to the point where it invaded my dreams last night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoo hoo! Steam Dreams! cool!

    I want to get some of those Steampunk Mags. I heard a great podcast with the guy who started it. Lemme know if you want a link

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. people are going to try to make special orders for it! Maybe have extras of the beads if you can, or any in sets of three, so they can ake their own, when they get home!!! You are so great! This is adorable!
    xox! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the hat! Isn't Target grand...just when you least expect it... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean, Thanks! I am going to make as many as I can!

    Katarinasmama, indeed! I found a lot of treasures there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, yes, steam podcast link would be lovely! Your addiction is spreading... :)
    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  10. becca,
    check out
    http://steampunkspectacular.org/blog/

    there are some buttons for Itunes & podcasts on the side

    if you search steampunk inside Itunes, there is another, but I didn't listen to that yet. I listened to 2 or 3 of the links above, thought, and they were great!

    ReplyDelete