March 8, 2008

serenity

During my Giddy Up post during Steam Week, I wrote a little about the Firefly/Serenity series, and the fundraising that the fans (often called Browncoats) do on behalf of Equality Now. I was commissioned by a leader of a group, Jen from Monkeyshines Beadery in Raleigh, North Carolina, to make a custom pendant design for their Shindig. Above is the design, and six of the colors that I have them available in. The design is inspired by the Serenity movie logo, with the word Serenity in Chinese in a circle. I will be making these with two holes at the top for pendants and also without holes for pins and magnets. I am happy to be a part of these events for a great cause, and happy to be able to provide a little handmade element to help them raise money.

Today, I am trying my best to be serene, but I am seriously multitasking and getting ready for my friend to stay here tonight and my show tomorrow morning. The plan is to go set up tonight, be back in time to greet the lovely Theresa of Lily Studios tonight, and have a little time to whip up a few more Vintaj wrapped pendants for the show. I am also firing one last kiln so it will be an early morning, getting that unloaded and ready to go...

5 comments:

  1. Melanie,

    I love the Antique Iron glaze - it will be perfect for the shiny-ness on your new Steampunk line. Is that iron oxide that makes it brown? It's awesome! Hope your show goes well!

    Melanie the Magnificent rules!
    :-)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so nice! I'm going to have to order some from the shindig website LOL. I love Firefly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Hey thanks! I am sure there is a lot of iron in it, as it is iron red in the glaze bottle, but my glaze calc skills are not good enough to knwo what causes the rest, like the cool texture~

    Joann, that's great! It is a great cause. I hope to sell some in my Etsy shop soon too, and give some proceeds to Equality Now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so so lovely. serenity in an incredibly powerful word. your beads have power and impact. congratulations on another great piece of art

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jean! It is a powerful word. Have you guys seen this Serenity/Firefly series? I think you might like it...

    ReplyDelete