March 5, 2008

Pink Ribbons, friends helping friends



So, in my inbox lately are many emails from friends who are doing some extra special things, like walking for charity and raising money for research for cancer and disease. I am so touched by things like this, especially when artists give a little of themselves to help benefit us all. I know that a lot of artists, if they are like me and Chuck, don't have a lot of money to give to charity, but we do have our work and our skills. I have found that artists are very giving of these things, and really work hard to raise awareness and funds using their work.

I don't do many custom designs for customers. I have too many ideas of my own, it is too hard to try to do everything for everyone. I do listen and take suggestions, and perhaps it ends up in my line, but I don't like to be tied to a custom job. The exception is that I have done custom work for people involved with charities, and it has been very fulfilling. I realize that I have not really shared some of these projects, so I will do this over the next few days. Above, are two ribbon designs I created that started out as a custom order for two local ladies who were doing a breast cancer walk. These were the first custom charity designs I ever did, and have since added them to my line. It seems that people are looking for high quality, artisan made ribbon designs for their awareness jewelry, instead of using inexpensive imported components. I am pleased that I can provide an alternative that is handmade but still relatively inexpensive.

I wanted to blog about our friend Andrew Thornton, who is helping his friend Rachel Stokoe raise money for her 3 Day Journey walk for breast cancer. I have seen this all over TV lately, it sounds like a really big thing, benefitting the Susan G. Komen for the Cure and National Philanthropic Trust. You might know Andrew from his many articles in the beading magazines, namely Stringing, and from his family's pewter art bead business Green Girl Studios. He is auctioning off several of his designs from Stringing to raise money for Rachel, which is such a great supportive thing to do. Click on over to his blog, check out the auctions, and think about bidding one one of the great pieces he has to offer!

3 comments:

  1. I agree its so important to help causes you support, especially if its with your work! We give to several charities, mostly for the welfare of animals( like no kill shelters) and for underprivleged children. I agree about the difference between doing a custom job and doing something for a charity, it makes all the difference in the world. I like this new design, its such a pretty charm with such a good and worthy benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting about my auctions. It is really amazing. I want to do everything in my power to help support the cause. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia,
    Thanks and I agree. You know, I haven't done a lot for animal causes, and that's really important to me. Hm, I might need to look for a cause I like. We got Zoey from a no-kill shelter, and we are very grateful for that.

    Andrew,
    It is my pleasure to help. Good on you for donating so generously!

    ReplyDelete