February 16, 2008

Steam Weekend: resting and draining

Steam Weekend: day two. I would like to rest a little today a little. I do have to work some, but I want to spend some time making a delicious dinner, leisurely carving a new tile for tomorrow, and finishing watching Mirror Mask, which I started last night but got too tired to watch, even though it was great. I had watched a super 3 hour marathon of Lost before that, so I was a little TV-ed out. But I have work to do first, some glazing for sure, and the fearsome monster of my Michigan sales tax form is looming over me. I must do it today. I will try to keep this post brief.

Above, some mixed results of new glazes. All the brown ones are new bronzes I tested. Very disappointing, they look like lustery honey amber at best. Not bad, quite nice actually, but not bronze. The pewter did better, they are quite nice, one more shiny and the other matte. Next to test these on some actual beads to see how they really react. I think I mentioned, these are low fire glazes that I am pushing to high fire, so the metallic effect is being lost. I think I will try them at lowfire and see what happens too. I really do want some bronze. I have new red tests that I will be doing today too. I have a great red but I want a blood maroon glaze. I think that would be great with the natural brass I have been using lately.

Ok, today I will mention another tangent, the use of Steampunk imagery in horror films, particularly vampire films. I think horror and vampires would work perfectly with steampunk, I am sure there are many examples. The Wikipedia list of steampunk works listed this movie, "The Perfect Creature" as a sort of vampire steampunk film. I rented it and watched a little before I realized that I really don't like vampire films. Why? because I have pretty severe case of "hemophobia" or fear of blood. Actually that is not true, I think it is a fear of veins and arteries, but I cannot find the word for that. So anyway, midway through the movie, I felt terribly queasy and anemic, and had to turn it off. It was kinda cool looking, and the premise was interesting, although I don't know if I saw a lot of steampunk elements. I just couldn't watch anymore. Remind me of this when I think I might like a vampire movie again, ok?
Ok, here is another band I have discovered, its a steampunky, rock opera like, cello band. Yes cellos, how cool is that? Check out these merry revelers in the pic above. What great style! They are called Rasputina and here they are with a cover of Marilyn Manson's Tourniquet, set to a fan video made with clips from the anime Ergo Proxy, which I have not seen, but read that it has Steampunk and Cyberpunk elements in it.



Link to video on You Tube


6 comments:

  1. Huh, Phobia List doesn't have a listing for a fear of veins or arteries. Here I thought I would be clever and pop in with the answer like I actually knew what I was talking about ;)

    Rasputina is a band that I KNOW is considered Goth, and I'm pretty sure they were also on the "12 Tales" CD of music inspired by Amy Brown's art.

    The pewter glazes are really cool, I bet they'd look awesome on gears. Probably make for some great man jewelry, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for looking! There has GOT to be a name for it. I can watch movies where someone gets shot or injured and bloody and I am just squeamish. But a needle or anything IV related and I go limp. see i just did...blah.

    Yes, I can do some Man jewlery! That's really hard to do, isn't it? And my designs are SO girly most of the time.

    Rasputina sounds pretty neat! I like their interesting choices of cover songs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combo of metallic and hearts is really fun! I love the squarish face too! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AJ, upon further though, I don't know if it is really a fear of veins and arteries, or of blood, becuase those things are good and keep us alive, right? It may be more of the fear of needles and scaplels, maybe surgical tools. There must be a name for that...

    Gaea, Thanks so much! I am very disappointed in my bronze tests though. And now that I have tried pewter on a vertical surface (not a flat test tile) it is running like crazy. Cry! Stupid glazes! Oh, and all my maroon tests turned out pink, pale red at best. *wah!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. AJ, upon further though, I don't know if it is really a fear of veins and arteries, or of blood, becuase those things are good and keep us alive, right? It may be more of the fear of needles and scaplels, maybe surgical tools. There must be a name for that...

    Gaea, Thanks so much! I am very disappointed in my bronze tests though. And now that I have tried pewter on a vertical surface (not a flat test tile) it is running like crazy. Cry! Stupid glazes! Oh, and all my maroon tests turned out pink, pale red at best. *wah!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, know this is very late. I've been admiring your work on Etsy & in mags but never visited this site. (And you're not giving yrself enuf credit on the glazes BTW...) Anyway I have a blood-clotting disorder - I OVER-clot - sort of opposite of hemophiliacs. Fear of veins <& maybe blood draws> would be "phlebotophobia" & fear of blood would be "hemophobia". Hemophiliacs are said to be blood-lovers because they need so much blood when wounded, "phile" being Gr root for love. Sorry for the boring lecture. As a chemically engineered hemophiliac (via anticoagulants) who's also a bead/stone/jewelry designer AND has an interest in all things vampire, I couldn't pass up this post. Thx for yr work & site! -Alexis

    ReplyDelete