December 18, 2007

But I'm a million different people from one day to the next

I thought I would show some images today of things I have been working on. Lately, I have been showing a lot of my anime/kawaii style beads that I did this halloween-christmas. But I have also been working on a few jewelry designs that are way different...much more classical. I have fallen in love with these Vintaj findings, especially the filigree wraps. They are so rich and earthy, and I think they go perfectly with both my faces and the vintage style charms, links, and cabs that I make. That is what amazes me about porcelain, it can be so many different things. It can be used to make really modern or pop style work, or it can be used in a very ornate classical way. It is so versatile, and I like to be versatile as a designer of beads and as a jewelry designer, so it is a perfect match.


So these are just a few snippets of works in progress. I ended up buying a bunch of the findings over the last few months to grow my collection. And now I am dabbling along, seeing how they fit my pieces best. Many of these will be submissions to magazines eventually. I have one piece already accepted for a future issue of a magazine, so I am excited to get feedback on it when it comes out in a couple of months. It's funny, because I have been making cabochons for a long time, but almost never use them! I have seen people use them for work with seed beads, pmc, traditional metalsmithing, and even dolls and quilts! But I don't really use any of those techniques in my work, so I have only used my cabs a few times. With these filigree wraps, I can use them very easily, and I love the look of them.
I have been talking with some of my bead colleagues by email, and the topic has been how we as individuals and artists are perceived online. It is really a hard things to understand, others' perceptions of you. It's hard enough in real life, but online and by email, it is much harder. Some things don't come across as well in words and emails. Misunderstandings are common and one's tone cannot be as easily read, compared to when someone is sitting in front of you using the telltale signs of facial expressions that we tend to rely on in human communication. Feelings get hurt and words have to be carefully chosen and sometimes repeated and clarified. I guess that is one of reasons I have been blogging more and more, to try to find my voice and see my own patterns. To maybe bring more warmth and personality to my writing style.
So I am moving along, feeling sentimental about the end of the holiday gift buying season and ending the year. I am excited about new projects coming up, and writing out my set of goals for 2008. And starting to work on some of those goals already. Here is a new thing I did just today, it has been on my to do list for a long time. Its a new ad featuring one of the professional photographs I had done. What do you think? It is much cleaner and stripped down than my usual ads. I sent it in already, and I am excited to see it in print in a few months...

Today's song is "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve. I love this song, and the instrumental part is so catchy. I don't like this video though. I saw it again recently on tv and while it brought the song back to my mind, I remember how I didn't like the video. I am sure its supposed to be kinda funny, but come on Verve-guy, why you gotta be so mean?


16 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful! The metal work is such a great fit with your style and ceramic. So Nouveau!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love working with these pieces! You know how much I love Nouveau, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the filigree pieces!

    Back when I was 15 and only listened to country, Bittersweet Symphony was one of the first alternative songs that my then BF now DH played for me! As soon as I saw the blog header, it started playing in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aj, thanks! Oh that's funny that you instantly knew it! I read this 80s music blog, and the guy always starts with a lyric like I do. I try to think of the song before scrolling to see what he is talking about. He does a lot of really obscure stuff though.

    I didn't picture you as a country music lover. Do you still listen to it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is so beautiful, I'm a big fan of your blog. I love the filigree patterns that you've used in your pieces. I also have to comment on the title of your post, I recognized it immediately because Bittersweet Symphony is one of my favorites. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those wraps go perfectly with your cabs - gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe... no, I really don't listen to country anymore! There's one artist that I still like (Mary Chapin Carpenter) and I don't even listen to her often. A few years ago, DH got me hooked on Goth music and that's almost all I listen to now! I like the ethereal and tribal sounds of bands like Faith and the Muse (playing right now) and Dead Can Dance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the faces and the findings. Have a ton of faces I made while playing with clay and wondering what to do with them. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AJ,
    Yeah my musical tastes have changed from when I was 15 but I am really going back to them now. I think a lot of people are, even musicians. I am amazed how much bands like the Killers and Arcade Fire sound like 80's new wave.

    Capitolagirl,
    Thanks you for the compliment, I really enjoy them too! Yeah I think this song really resonates with a lot of people. I told my hubby the song title from this morning's post and he instantly started humming the chords.

    Melissa,
    Thank you so much! You should try some, they are way fun!

    Judy,
    Yes, definately get some to play with! I got most of mine retail through Fusion Beads...they have free shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those wraps are gorgeous, they really complement your nouveau styles.

    I'm so glad I happened on your blog today -- that song is my new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. deabusamor,
    Thank you! I am glad you dropped by today too! You know, this is the only song I know by this band. hmmm, I should go and see if this was a one hit wonder type thing or maybe they have more good ones...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the new ad! It's clean and sophisticated, while also being warm & inviting. Nice balance!

    --
    By the way, has anyone else whined to you about the new Blogger restrictions on commenting? I'm unable to leave a comment with a link to my real blog. It's really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stef,
    Thansk so much!

    I have heard some complaints about blogger when it comes to little red xs but not about linkage. I guess they changed something recently to let other blog formats (LJ, wordpress) post comments with thier ids.

    Is your real blog hosted on your own site?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've listened to the rest of the album that Bittersweet Symphony was on, and I think there were maybe one or two other decent songs. I found most of the rest of it to be too depressed or too angry. YMMV, of course, and I don't know if they ever released any other albums. I don't recall ever hearing any of their other songs on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AJ, Yeah I think they broke up shortlay after that song. Wiki says that thery are planning a reunion or new album. I think this was a rare gem for them...

    Chuck,
    aww! Thank you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete