So as you can see above (in a pretty grainy picture for some reason) I have just about finished my fairy costume top. It turned out differently than I expected, but better! I started with a t-shirt I owned, a V neck with cute slit sleeves. I liked it but the V was a little too low and the sleeves slipped down too much at the neck, exposing my *ahem* undergarment straps. So some re-purposing was welcomed!
I began with the "feathers" around the waist. The same types that are in the skirt and shoes. I wanted it to blend right into the skirt, and it does. Then I tackled the collar. One large feather in the center as a centerpiece and small ones along the rest of the neckline worked out well. But then when I tried it on, it got a little droopy, so I wanted to stitch it up, at the bottom of the V. So I used some silk ribbons and stitched them criss-cross so it looks like it ties up. It doesn't, it is decorative. I had to sew those on while wearing it, to get the tension right, and I jabbed myself in the chest with the needle while sewing. Ouch! Ah, the pain I endure for fairy fashion. The final touch is a ribbon tied to each side of the sleeves, so I can tie it to my *foundation* for a little security and to prevent slippage. I actually love that idea, and I want to do it to all my clothes now!
So it's cute, eh? I bet you want to borrow it! That just makes me laugh, because I saw another Kelly video recently, "Let Me Borrow That Top". I think it is just hilarious but again, it is NOT WORK OR CHILD SAFE! Lots of *colorful* language within:
And the arms are done too, by the way. I should do a picture of them on, but I can't figure out the camera that way. I will have to model the whole ensemble for a photo. These are arm warmers from Sock Dreams, with feathers sewn around the top. I can wear them up just above my elbow, or down below it a bit. I am not sure which I will do. They might just scrunch down anyways, as I kind of compromised the elastic band. They are fingerless and have a hole thumb, which you may be able to see in the picture.
So the costume is pretty complete. I need a fancy necklace of course, and my raw brass findings came in today, so I hope to play with them. Any other accessories I can dabble with as time permits. I got some tulle and wire from the craft store today in case some wings just happen to sprout up sometime this week. Tonight I have beads to make though...