September 4, 2007

Summer's Cauldron


A little progress made with the new tiles. I have decided to complete my thoughts on the old series before jumping into new tiles. I have wanted to add an air, water, and fire goddess to my earth goddess tile for YEARS! So I figured this was a good time to work on them to get used to carving again. For these, I simply pressed three of the original goddess tiles, filled in the leaves and tree parts, and started carving right on top. I wanted these to be exactly the same size and for the figure to be placed the same and everything, so this seems like a good way to do it. I took these pictures before carving yesterday actually, I had done the sketchy line work before. So they are actually even further along. I hope to work on them again today, after shipping and before I work on beads tonight.
It was still hot out yesterday, but I feel Fall coming on soon. I am not exactly happiest in Summer...the heat, the sun, the humidity...all get to me and make me really tired and sluggish. I look forward to Autumn very much. I hope to say good bye to Summer soon, and I celebrate it, even with all its difficulties, with one of my favorite songs by XTC:


Drowning here in Summer's Cauldron
Under mats of flower lava
Please don't pull me out this is how I would want to go
Breathing in the boiling butter
Fruit of sweating golden Inca
Please don't heed my shout I'm relax in the undertow
When Miss Moon lays down
And Sir Sun stands up
Me I'm found floating round and round
Like a bug in brandy In this big bronze cup
Drowning here in Summer's Cauldron
Trees are dancing drunk with nectar
Grass is waving underwater
Please don't pull me out this is how I would want to go
Insect bomber Buddhist droning
Copper chord of August's organ
Please don't heed my shout I'm relax in the undertow
When Miss Moon lays down in her hilltop bed
And Sir Sun stands up raise his regal head
Me I'm found floating round and round Like a bug in brandy
In this big bronze cup
Drowning here in Summer's Cauldron

well, I can't figure out how to just link to Last FM or anything! So here is a very random video, the only thing I could find of Summer's Cauldron...some family summer video of kids playing in the yard in the 70's. Gotta love the internets!

2 comments:

  1. Your tiles look beautiful! I can't wait to see them glazed! That is always such a rewarding feeling!

    ReplyDelete