September 26, 2007

Fly By Night

Yesterday's post was very inspired and ambitious, the way I declared proudly that I would finish the two necklaces in question. But alas, work got in the way this time, not fear or the *bling* factor. It will have to wait another day or two, but I am still committed.

The thing that got in the way was a rush job. I will be honest, I don't handle rush jobs well. It is almost like if the words hurry, rush, or deadline enter the picture, it is a guarantee that I am going to screw it up. It is not so much a jinx, I hate to think like that. But something inside me just turns off I guess. So I screwed up again.

It was a simple mistake, the order was for 3 beads and I had one in stock already. So I had to fire 2 glazes. But when I went to glaze, I reglazed the one color I already had. D'oh! And didn't realize until I unloaded the kiln and got ready to ship. The frustrating thing though, is that I glazed all day in order to fill that kiln, because I refuse to fire them unless they are packed full. I am efficient that way, and I don't like expending energy in a wasteful way, so efficiency is the rule. Anyway, that meant I had to glaze enough stuff to fill another kiln, just for one bead, and I needed to drop everything to do so. Grrr...

But it is done now, and cooling and I will ship today, and it will be past me. But when will I learn not to just drop everything to take these rush jobs, seeing how they effect me? I don't know what the solution is...to not accept rush jobs at all? I hate to do that, I pride myself on being accommodating. Charge an extra fee for a rush? I don't know, that's probably a good idea...

When I screw up, it makes me feel bad about myself a bit, and I feel like I have failed a bit in my business. Like I am some fly by night operation here. But I must not be so hard on myself. I have made a business, which I think is successful, and it is based on tiny details. At any given point I have about a dozen orders that I am working on (right now it is 16) and I fill each one with the quality and care that I would want to receive in return. My process just takes time, the details are many and easily confused, and I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work...and I have to remember to remember these things.

The music video for today is from Rush, of course. Rush is way outside of my personal musical landscape, but it is in my larger life landscape, as Chuck likes them. I asked him what his favorite Rush song was yesterday while driving, and it set him into such an excited state that we almost missed several turns as he rambled on and on about the band and sang a few choruses and rocked out on the air guitar and drums. I glazed over at one point, but I do remember this song, "Fly by Night" below, and it seemed fitting. The video is set to Line Rider soaring over a bunch of line mountains.

3 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself. I feel the same way about rush jobs. Remember this: You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - everyone has problems one time or another with rush jobs - it's the nature of the beast. I'm sorry that it created additional work for you, but it sounds as if you handled the whole situation in an admirably efficient way! Anyway, I hope today was better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, thanks Candie!

    Melissa, I agree, it is part of the biz, an unpleasant one, but something I just have to deal with. I got it done and yesterday did end up to be a great day...

    ReplyDelete